1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Surveillance Auditing requirements

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by aytos2101, Mar 11, 2021.

1. aytos2101

aytos2101 New Member

Hi there

I'm trying to understand requirements regarding surveillance auditing when I am no expert in this field..

Previously employed places only had the one external audit for recertification every 2-3 years. The organisation I am with atm are doing it annually because they are being told its mandatory to do it every year by their external auditor. Looking back, I can see they do 2 years of surveillance auditing and the third the re-certification.

I can not see it stated anywhere within JAS-ANZ nor in 9001 that it is a mandatory requirement to do yearly external auditing - is their external auditor reaping in the money or have my previous employers not been completing the mandatory requirements and somehow getting away with it?

Thanks in advance

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

The first question is whether the CB was accredited by an IAF member body? You can check the requirements at the IAF.nu website, download Mandatory document MD-5.

3. aytos2101

aytos2101 New Member

Thanks, looking for some further information - Australian based, they are registered through JAS-ANZ, which is coming up on the IAF website.
    I would assume all external auditors would have to comply with JAS-ANZ (or equivalent body) - perhaps previous auditors were not, hence the difference?
    Will look at this MD-5 to see if it makes sense, thanks.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

It's possible. Sadly, not all CBs are created equally. I have worked for 2 top flight global CBs and recently have witnessed a train wreck of a small IAF-member accredited CB where the auditors employed are clearly, very incompetent on even the basics. All kinds of craziness which undermines the value of certification for all concerned. And it's not isolated, either.