1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Structure of QMS Manual

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Vibin Kumar, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Vibin Kumar

Vibin Kumar Member

Hai All,

Im new to this field, I have been working on my Company's existing manual. The have the following doubt :

1. Does the manual has to be in the same structure of the Standard (order of Clauses)?
    2. How to deal with the newly added things in 2015 version, ie: organisational knowledge & Performance Evaluation ? Can anyone give me some examples ?
    I'm working on the field of Service(inspection,Mechanical & civil jobs) Industry in Oil & gas.

Thanks in Advance !!!!!! :)

2. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

1. No.
    2. Assess any gaps in your existing organization system to the new requirements - address/resolve gaps - add requirements into manual.

NOTE - I don't believe ISO 9001:2015 actually has a requirement for a Quality Manual.

3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

A couple of questions, first. Does your current manual copy the 2008 format? If so, is this an expectation of your clients? If so, and they prefer a manual which is useless but follows ISO clauses, then update your manual to the new Annex SL. That way you avoid problems with customer auditors. If you want a better manual and don't have a customer expecting it, fashion your manual how you want - as long as it's effective. Since you don't have to follow the clauses one by one in a manual, you won't have to add the new ISO 2015 requirements to the old manual, will you?

4. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

An organization's quality manual, actually, doesn't have to be structured in the same manner as the standard's sections. Even the 2008 version standard only requires to have the following in the quality manual:
    • 4.2.2a - scope, justification for exclusion;
    • 4.2.2b - documented procedures or reference to them;
    • 4.2.2c - description of the interaction between the QMS processes.
    The 2015 version does not require a quality manual and has the following statement in its Annex A.1:
    "The structure of clauses is intended to provide a coherent presentation of requirements, rather than a model for documenting an organization’s policies, objectives and processes".

Andy Nichols likes this.
  5. Vibin Kumar

Vibin Kumar Member

Hai Andy,
    Actually its a client requirement. Our existing Manual is 2008 version. The client dont prefer anything. Its my own doubt . I just felt like, arranging things like in the standards would be more useful to view and even when my company decides to integrate any other standards, It would be more easy. Just a thought.
    Require your valuable advice friends.

Thanks!!!!

6. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

It doesn't make things "easier" for anyone. Apart from a few auditors who "expect" such a thing. No-one knows the ISO requirements at your company, so why would you give them a manual like the standard? Give them something they can actually use.

Howard Atkins and Atul Khandekar like this.
  7. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

My preferred outline of a Quality Manual will include the following sections:
    1. Introduction (Purpose, Revision and Distribution);
    2. Company Profile (Organizational Structure, Mission, Vision, Strategic Directions, Quality Policy);
    3. Quality Management System:
      1. Scope of the QMS (Scope Description, Justification for Non-Applicability, and QMS System Map);
      2. Management Processes (Strategic Planning, Performance Review, Internal Audit...);
      3. Core Processes (Product Development, Material Management, Production, Quality Assurance...);
      4. Support Processes (Human Resource, Infrastructure Management, Information Management...)
    The specific documented procedures are appropriately referred in each description of the various processes. Example: Internal Audit Procedure is referenced in the subsections of the Management Processes (i.e. in the narrative description of the Internal Audit process).

8. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

My preferred outline of an integrated business management system manual is one that follows what the company does. Then it's easier to slot the applicable standards in if desired.

We did one that mirrored PDCA and there was a matrix in the back to support auditors who needed to know where to find requirements suitable to the scope of their audit.

Vibin Kumar likes this.
  9. Vibin Kumar

Vibin Kumar Member

thanks all, for your guidance