1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Starting from first principles

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Ian Banister, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Ian Banister

Ian Banister Member

Hi,
    I'm brand new to the forum and I suppose brand new to ISO9001 as well. I work for a small 100 people engineering service company where I'm a Project Manager. I've been asked to look at implementing ISO9001 2015 as a project and as far as i'm concerned i'm starting from scratch and don't have a formal quality background - I'd say the best alignment I have is risk management and leadership with my skill set as well as good management support.
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book/e-learning course/sources of information that would be a good starter for 10 for me. Many thanks Ian

2. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Buying a book to use as reference is cheaper than attending training or hiring a consultant. But doing it yourself exposes your organization to risks like:
    • the recommendations in the book may not readily suit your company's operation;
    • the book cannot answer back if you need to clarify things;
    • people tend to be less involved if being coached by an insider than by an external service provider;
    • unsure of the approach that you will implement, unlike being coached by someone who's "been there, done that";
    • extended time of setting up the QMS due to trial and error or so many ideas that you need to accommodate or to kill;
    • before others buy/adopt your approach, there's a lot of convincing to make.

3. Ian Banister

Ian Banister Member

Hi Tony
    Thank you for your reply but unfortunately hiring in consultants/coaching is not my call one way or the other and there's no-one to mentor - if there was anyone better placed it would'nt be coming my way! - but surely there must be some good written material out there....

4. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

What about attending training?

5. Ian Banister

Ian Banister Member

Hi Tony
    I find attending courses hit and miss - you may get a real expert and you might get someone reading the slides and notes. I did ask for any recommendations on e learning courses as i find them of consistently high quality in my first thread. I suppose I know what works best for me in terms of how I learn.

6. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Ian - I'd suggest reaching out to Shaun Sayers at Capable People or the folks at Excel/Bywater. I'm guessing you're in the UK - am I right?

7. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Ian,

If you opt to try a book, one way to make the most of it could be a "Name in the Hat" weekly event with your leadership team. This would entail each leader having a copy and once week the entire group meets to discuss the latest chapter. The reason it's called "Name in the Hat" is that the person who will first discuss the chapter is drawn at that meeting. You don't know in advance, so everyone needs to read up and be prepared. If the individual who is selected is not ready, the meeting is cancelled. As well, names are put back in for the following meeting, so that everyone has an equal chance at being called upon (or not called upon).

The individual who is selected first provides a summary of the chapter and the facilitates discussions around what the concepts learned were and how these concepts can apply to your organization. Everyone becomes involved in the discussions. It's an excellent way to teach facilitation skills, but also see if your organization is on the same page and can also serve as an informal action planning or gap analysis meeting. This also sparks leadership engagement (not just commitment) and hopefully results in "walking the walk" not just "talking the talk".

Best of luck!

8. Ian Banister

Ian Banister Member

Thanks Andy and Roxane - just looked at capable people website and will contact them for the distance learning courses. Thanks for the help

R Ian

9. Michelle Nicolosi

Michelle Nicolosi Member

Ian - you should read Cochran's "ISO 9001 2015 in Plain English". Someone on here suggested it to me and it has been very helpful.

Atul Khandekar likes this.
  10. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

I would recommend that you attend an ISO9001:2015 awareness training. After the awareness training, you can develop your project plan. Send a private email to one of the moderators on this website. I highly recommend anyone of them as consultant.. The consultancy is only temporary. Invite one of these moderators to visit your site to scope the system and perhaps deliver an awareness training to your CEO. My humble beginning as a quality coordinator started with knowing nothing about these standards. I learned the QS9000 standards from "jump street". My lack of understanding prompted me to attend one of these ASQ summit meetings and it was there where I met a quality consultant who guided me through the end. The role of my consultant was to educate the Top Management as I struggled through the massive documentation. You have to spend some money to make this happen. Don't forget Cochran's book: ISO9001:2015 in plain English. I hope sharing my experience helps in your journey.