1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Signing of Certification of Compliance

Discussion in 'Supplier Quality, Audits & Other Supplier Issues' started by vinkid, Feb 22, 2016.

1. vinkid

vinkid New Member

I currently have a supplier in which the Director of Operations continues to sign the Certificate of Compliance (CofC). I have explained that this is a conflict of interest and that a quality signature would be needed. They have requested us to site a standard in which this requirement is defined. I know this as a common sense manufacturing practice and do not know of a standard in which this is referenced.

Any Help would be appreciated?

BTW, Nice to see this board gain traction after the dissolution of Elsmar Cove...

2. Sidney Vianna

Sidney Vianna Well-Known Member

I would focus on what is the process for checks and balances used by the supplier before a duly authorized representative signs a CoC. Actually, provided the process they use is meaningful, I would much rather have a Director signing that document, putting his reputation on the line, instead of a low level quality admin person, who, many times have no idea of what they are signing, the intent and the ramifications if that CoC is deemed inaccurate or fraudulent, at a later date.

RoxaneB, Errhine and WCHorn like this.
  3. WCHorn

WCHorn Member

I searched for guidance in ISO/TS 16949:2009, AS9100C, ISO 9001:2008, ISO9001:2015, and Nadcap AC7115C. None of those standards provide a requirement for the signer of a certificate of conformance. It's likely that some customers have the requirement for a quality function representative's signature of CoC's in their "customer specific" requirements; you would have to search those.

I'm with Sydney; I have higher regard for an executive or managerial level signature than I do for a technician's or clerk's, regardless of their department. I don't think a signature by the director of operations would pose a conflict of interest.

Sidney Vianna likes this.
  4. MikeH

MikeH Member

I'd see if you start getting issues with delivered product that may point to "rubber stamping". You could always arrange to perform "source inspection" to gain a level of confidence in their release processes.

5. QMSmaster

QMSmaster Active Member

Does anyone even put any weight in a CofC? Either receiving or giving them?

6. rlewing

rlewing Member

Our company (European Union) practice is that:
    1) the declaration of Conformity (DoC) for the product (design and quality system) is signed by CEO and that is distributed appropriately with the products.
    2) For most cases the final inspection 'certificate' proving each product is tested (and passed all) according to product-specific testing and inspection instructions - is signed by testing responsible.
    That has been enough until recently a 'special' client required more independence. Then we picked a manager from our organization and he reports now directly to the "Quality Representative" - member of management team.

7. QMSmaster

QMSmaster Active Member

How can requiring a CEO to sign a DoC ever be practical? Depending on the size of your company all your CEO would do is sign DoC's. Can this be delegated?

8. normzone

normzone Well-Known Member

One of our customer's Terms and Conditions document requires that the C of C be signed by " the person authorized by the organization ". It looks imposing until you realize that that means you can pick the appropriate person (based on your processes) to be able to know that proper build and testing has been completed.

9. normzone

normzone Well-Known Member

And with today's electronic signatures, somebody can put font to paper once and the raw form can be endlessly recycled by another entity. Again, if the processes are sound it's as good as any other signature, and if they are not, it won't matter who signs it.