1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Should we keep ISO 14001?

Discussion in 'ISO 14001:2015 - Environmental Management Systems' started by Nadja Brown, Jan 16, 2024.

1. Nadja Brown

Nadja Brown New Member

Hi,
    My company has had some organizational changes, and our Headquarters division no longer has production; we moved that to another division. Now, our headquarters are only an R&D facility with a lab, machines for testing, etc. Should we keep our ISO 14001 certification for headquarters, and if so, why?
    Our current certification does not mention R&D.

Our scope of registration mentions design and development.

Regards,

Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
  2. Nadja Brown

Nadja Brown New Member

My company has had some organizational changes, and our Headquarters division no longer has production; we moved that to another division. Now, our headquarters are only an R&D facility with a lab, machines for testing, etc. Should we keep our ISO 14001 certification for headquarters, and if so, why?
    Our current certification does not mention R&D.

Our scope of registration mentions design and development.

I forgot to mention we were an integrated system with ISO 9001, and we still have a design and development department at headquarters.

3. qmr1976

qmr1976 Well-Known Member

That would be totally up to you, unless you have customers that require you be environmentally certified. You can always modify the scope of your certification if you decide to stay ISO 14001 certified.

tony s and John C. Abnet like this.
  4. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @Nadja Brown -and welcome to the site.
    As mentioned by @qmr1976 , the decision is up to your organization.

Please allow me to ask some questions in order to prompt some thought...
    1- What was the original intent of becoming ISO 14001 certified?
    2- Does that original intent still exist?
    3- Does the ISO 14001 certification within your organization meet the stated intent which is to...
    "...provide organizations with a framework to protect the environment and respond to changing environmental conditions in balance with socio-economic needs"

3a- If the answer to "3" is correct, does your organization wish to maintain that?

Certifications should have meaning and purpose beyond simply 'checking a box', so your organization needs to determine WHY it originally wanted the certification.

Keep in mind, if your organization determines to allow the ISO 14001 certification to expire and then at a later date determines to again seek certification, your organization will have to start from the beginning including complete Stage 1 and Stage 2 audits, etc..

Hope this helps.
    Be well.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
    tony s and qmr1976 like this.
  5. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Getting certified to ISO 14001, even 9001, is a business decision. So, I agree with @qmr1976 and @John C. Abnet in saying it's up to your organization.

John C. Abnet and qmr1976 like this.