1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Self Employed accreditation

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Darren Ridden, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Darren Ridden

Darren Ridden New Member

Hi all,
    Just wondering, How to go about becoming ISO 9001:2015 accredited. I’m a self employed Transport Compliance Consultant, considering becoming an auditor and the ISO 9001:2015 is a must have. I’ve not got a clue where to start, any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Hello Darren:

Welcome! Can you tell us more about your situation? I'm surprised to hear that anyone in the consulting business is "required" to be ISO 9001 Certified. (not accredited, different meaning). Becoming an auditor has zero to do with ISO 9001 (except to understand it and its application).

Are you thinking of becoming a Certification Body auditor? As a consultant, I've rarely found any client who has a clue what being an auditor involves and it all needs to be paid for! How convinced are you that there's a return on the investment you're going to make? Ever figured out the cost?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    RonR Quality Pro likes this.
  3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Darren:
    On reflection, these 2 are not related at all. It's your business which becomes ISO 9001 Certified, not you. Since you're in the UK, I'd suggest that you sign up a) to join the Chartered Quality Institute (www.quality.org), and become a member at some level (this will allow you to use some post-nomials which may be useful in the UK market) and then b) research and pursue becoming an auditor with IRCA (a part of CQI) - the International Register of Certificated Auditors (same website). These are the professional qualification which are going to help you most.

Unless you have some spare money laying around, getting your business certified to ISO 9001 is an expensive undertaking. It's a cost (over three years you're likely looking at 5 days of audit time (at the local rate*) and then various fees, travel costs etc.