1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Sample Size Justification

Discussion in 'Sampling, Standards and Inspection' started by TheWaeller, Mar 23, 2016.

1. TheWaeller

TheWaeller Member

Hi all,

I'm looking for a guidance to justify sample size.

Actually , the assumption is that the data sets (metric data) are following a student-t-distribution. Then based on a T/s
    (Tolerance range above standard deviation)-ratio the sample size is calculated.

This approach is being used for design verification. Usually max.sample size is 60 in accordance with ISO 11608-1.

What about if the assumption will not be true? Do Ineed to go to a distribution free approch?

Thanks for any hint
    Waeller

2. Vthouta

Vthouta Member

You can justify using the level of significance based on your current problem definition. This would lead to type-1 and type 2 errors. I just got to know effect size could be used to justify, but I have not applied yet to any of my problem definitions. I am not sure whether I answered your question.

Link:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effect_size

3. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

Assumptions are tough. the t-distribution is fairly robust tho. you could perform a goodness of fit test. But this is all about justifying a sample size based on statistical theory to who?
    if it's to your organization, I might suggest a better way depending on the risk (severity of effect) of the product you are validating. If it's to a regulatory agency, you are probably OK as is. (depending on your reviewer)

I would also recommend that you read the following article on tolerance intervals by Donald Wheeler.

TheWaeller likes this.
  4. TheWaeller

TheWaeller Member

Hi Bev,

thank you for your help.
    The article of Don Wheeler is of of great help.
    Unfortunately, it is not yet available in his reading room.

Thanks
    Waeller