1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Quality System Level 2 doc quantity?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by QMSmaster, Mar 27, 2016.

1. QMSmaster

QMSmaster Active Member

I am not sure if I am in the correct forum so please move if I am not.

My companies QMS grew out of control over the last 10 years or so. The problem if there are like 50 level 2 procedures (Level 1 being the manual). You can only imagine how external audits go. It has been a bit of a battle convincing everyone that every document does not have to be a procedure. I plan to blow-up the whole thing and recreate it with maybe 10 procedures (max). I am curious how other peopel here have there QMS structured and how many Level 2 procedures you have.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Probably the same as yours... You are dealing with the legacy of "say what you do, do what you say" and the infernal pyramid of documents. Try this:

Take each process and identify CONTROLS needed for that process, including the inputs (what document) and outputs (records) - as well as the "product". Create a document tree. Anything left on the table, you probably don't need and can consign to the shedder...

Process A:
    Input A
    Control Document A
    Output A
    Process B:
    Input B
    Control Document B
    Output B​

3. QMSmaster

QMSmaster Active Member

Yes, it was the legacy effect you mentioned. We have all the original 21 ISO requirements and then all of our own processes.