Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Quality Objectives or KPI's?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Andy Nichols, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I read posts and discussions centered on KPIs for the various processes of the Quality Management System. Indeed, I downloaded a 3 page listing of KPIs which was offered up by a CB auditor as "useful".

I'd offer to people that KPIs are NOT what's required. Quality Objectives Are. An organization should embrace two fundamental concepts and set objectives from there:

"Right First Time" and "On Time".

These are foundational and can be applied to any process:

Quoting, Order Entry, Supplier performance, Engineering Design, Manufacturing, Training, so on and so forth.

The application of KPIs (such as were listed on these 3 pages) - without reference back to these fundamentals - is of little value in determining the performance of a process.

Be careful what you select.

Rajkumar, Travis Dutiel and yodon like this.
  2. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

A term that my father applied when he was CEO for an aerospace company was OTIS - On Time. In Spec. This implies right the first time.

Any staff member - be they an operator on the shop floor or senior management - who would not embrace the idea of OTIS found him/herself looking for another position. In fact, he even terminated a senior manager who was a family member of the company's founding family (lots of family members on the company Board) because the senior manager thought OTIS didn't apply to him.

Every subsequent KPI developed had to have an impact on the company's ability to be OTIS. No connection? Then it wasn't a KEY performance indicator...it was just an indicator of something.

3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I like your Dad!

Travis Dutiel likes this.
  4. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

I rather expected you to say something like "Gee, now I know where you get it from." :rolleyes:

When I tell colleagues that supper in my house, while growing up, involved process maps, development of standards, PDCA, financial statements, action plans, ROI calculations, risk assessments, metrics, etc., they slowly nod as if finally understanding why I am the way I am. *lol*

John C. Abnet and Travis Dutiel like this.
  5. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

After knowing Roxane's father's occupation, my first impression is Roxane's father is rich;)