1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Quality Assurance Text Book Recommendations

Discussion in 'Other Quality and Business Related Topics' started by Gary Walz, Aug 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Gary Walz

Gary Walz New Member

Hi,

I'm teaching a 3 credit Quality Assurance course this fall. I taught the course last fall, but I was a last minute addition to the faculty, so I ended up with the pre-chosen book "Managing for Quality and Performance Excellence" by Evans and Lindsay.

The students are 4-year Engineering Technology majors primarily. Very hands on curriculum. I found the Evan book to be too cumbersome. Based on the syllabus, I have to cover topics like Quality Management Systems, The Baldridge award, a lot of organization quality stuff. But I really want to make the course more practical to emphasis topics a new engineer/technician will encounter in a manufacturing environment. Writing Quality Plans, Inspection Methods, Gage R&R.

Stats is NOT a prereq for this course (although last semester, all of the students had taken it.)

Due to COVID, the course will be 100% online this semester. I'm looking for recommendations for a text with more practical applications. Also, if anyone has some words of wisdom for teaching a course like this over ZOOM, I'm more than up for suggestions.

Thanks,
    Gary

2. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

Consider narrowing the focus to Quality Engineering then covering applied basics like MSA, SPC, capability studies, process FMEA, mistake proofing, root cause problem solving, etc. It will take more work on your part, but there is a lot good material available on the Internet for free that you could compile. Most books that I have seen are too detailed, too general and/or too theoretical. I couldn't recommend any of them. I have seen excellent books on specific topics, but none that cover all the important bases.

Another thing to consider: Quality engineers will typically be involved with suppliers, customers, process quality and new product introduction quality.

3. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

I have been teaching virtual classes in six sigma and problem solving to adult learners all spring and summer using Teams. However, these are 4 hours each day vs. a 1 hour class, so I can do things that you may not be able to do. I use virtual breakout rooms to provide some hands-on exercises on things like process mapping, PFMEA, MSA, etc. We use SigmaZone's virtual catapult to provide experimentation and continuity. The breakout rooms have been very popular.