1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

PFMEA for Packaging

Discussion in 'FMEA - Failure Modes and Effects Analysis' started by S1D3K1CK, Aug 28, 2023.

1. S1D3K1CK

S1D3K1CK Active Member

How can you create an affective PFMEA for packaging and shipping when you and team have no background in packaging? What is the best way to find information on best practices for packaging without having knowledge or a packaging engineer (or any engineer).

2. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

Short answer is that you cannot. How do you handle your packaging? Do you outsource it? If so, can you leverage them to help?

In my experience across automotive, consumer and industrial products, all packaging failure modes (outside of labeling) that I have seen have been attributable to the packaging design, which would be addressed in a DFMEA. I have never seen a process failure mode in packaging with the exception of labeling issues.

RonR Quality Pro likes this.
  3. S1D3K1CK

S1D3K1CK Active Member

We do our own but its never consistent. Also order quantities are never consistent. With selling more than 12,000 parts, it will be hard to "revamp" the way packaging should be. We do have a plan but with no knowledge, trial and error becomes a lot of trial and error. Just looking for any information as to how to research packaging.

4. Miner

So, you really mean package design? Some packaging failure modes that I have experienced (not all inclusive) are:
    • Damage from dropped packages
      • External packaging crumples and allows product damage
      • Internal packing material crushes allowing product to move and sustain damage
    • Crushed from stacking
    • Puncture damage from lift trucks
    • Inadequate protection from vibration/shock
    • Inadequate protection from atmospheric conditions
    • Internal packing allows bulk product to entangle, scratch and abrade each other
    There will be plenty more failure modes as well.

In the various companies that I worked at, we either had a centralized packaging engineer, or utilized the company from which we sourced our packing materials to design the packaging.

S1D3K1CK likes this.
  5. S1D3K1CK

S1D3K1CK Active Member

Thanks for this information. We have seen all those listed plus some. One of our biggest ones that you don't have listed is
    mislabeling, example; Left-hand part in a right-hand labeled box, visa versa and/or left-hand part (or RH part) in an opposite part labeled box without shipping the opposite hand.

I will do what I can to try and get more information from our box suppliers to see what they provide as in packaging design and/or look into a packaging engineer.

6. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Is this FMEA a “D” or a “P”? Is it the design of the packaging or the process of packaging? And yes, the answer is “no” you need experience - and effective FMEA facilitation, too! #askmehowIknow

S1D3K1CK likes this.
  7. Miner

I viewed labeling as a separate issue than packaging. I attached a document from Ford Motor Company called Labeling Best Practices. It was based on a PFMEA conducted by Ford. I implemented these best practices at one facility that had very serious labeling issues with RH/LH product as well as product that was dimensionally identical but with different performance characteristics. They virtually eliminated the labeling issues.

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

8. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

^^^ Awesomeness, right there...

9. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're talking about bulk packaging component parts? I wouldn't over think it. It's all about box size, weight, and quantity. Don't want to overpack, cause damage to parts, and/or mis-identify parts. The Ford list has some good ideas as do some of the above posts. Good luck.

10. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Now if they could only get their backup camera to work on the Explorer. :)

11. Miner

I wonder if they bought counterfeit electronics back when they had the electronics shortages.