1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

New here and new to QM

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Patrick G., May 14, 2017.

1. Patrick G.

Patrick G. Member

holy cuuuurap what have I done!!!!? Well after 16 years of packaging design and engineering, I decided to take a Quality Management position. I've been crash coursing over the last six months. Lead Auditor, Core tools courses, Risk-based thinking course, etc. so it's been interesting to say the least. I'm at least glad that I'm coming in the beginning of a new standard. I think. We are currently ISO 9001:2008 and TS at one of our other locations. I suspect I'll be talking to you all soon enough. ;)

2. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

Welcome Patrick! No one I know of got a childhood inspiration to become a QA professional (like the child of yore saying "I want to be a fireman when I grow up!") We all came from somewhere else in industry. When I started, I was a USN pipefitter/sheetmetal mechanic. So we were all like you at some point, but jumping in at Quality Manager is certainly ambitious!

For what it's worth, when taking the ASQ certification for Certified Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence (what a mouthful!) I found the ASQ Press Handbook a good source. They haven't updated it for 2015 yet, I don't know when that is planned. But the subjects will still be true: supplier control, etc. Then there's ISO 9001:2015 in Plain English. It really is a good book, in my view.

We'll be here for you.

Patrick G., BradM and Atul Khandekar like this.
  3. BradM

BradM Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum and the profession!

I am still learning everyday at this place. Many of the moderators here I consider my friends, and... I have a lot of respect for them and their wisdom. I like engaging them on thoughts (saying... we always don't see eye to eye, 100% on everything) because.. I end up learning something new.

I guess the coin I'm trying to throw in here is: ask questions. These folks here (and at The Cove) are some of the most brilliant people in experimental design, statistics, standard interpretation, and audit approach/interpretation I've ever seen.

Patrick G. likes this.
  4. hogheavenfarm

hogheavenfarm Well-Known Member

It helps immensely to have been involved on the production side of things to start. I worked a job once that required my position (QM) to work one week in every department in the place (26 departments in the production side). It was the most valuable experience of my life.
    Welcome.

Patrick G. likes this.
  5. Patrick G.

Patrick G. Member

Yes I opted to do that myself when I came into the industry 16 years ago. I can see how having a full concept understanding of the organizations processes, procedures, etc. would help immensely in Quality. Being in Engineering and Estimating requires you to understand almost everything about our production. So that def helps me to be able to focus on learning the QMS and QM without having to fret over learning eng., est., prod., s&r, etc. thanks!

6. Nikki

Nikki Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Patrick G. likes this.
  7. Patrick G.

Patrick G. Member

Thanks!