1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

ISO 9001 for software

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by jeancloude17, Oct 5, 2022.

1. jeancloude17

jeancloude17 Member

Ok, I'll read your post about IAF, I'll inform myself better about that... However, the 3°rd party auditor who made ther certifiucation visit, never mentionated this standard

2. jeancloude17

jeancloude17 Member

Ok, but in Italy we have Accredia for thi ISO certification, IAF is nothing more than another certifying body. Our certification is no longer valid, true, but we are a small company and have close ties to customers, to the point that we have been growing steadily since we opened in 2008. My directors choose another certifyng body, I suppose it's the same as IAF. This is my opinion, but I may be wrong... If so please point it out to me
    Bye and thanks for the advice

3. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

IAF (International Accreditation Forum) is not a certifying body. The members of this organization are accreditation bodies, usually government agencies, that regulate the operation of certifying bodies. Certifying bodies are private organizations that provides certification services to organizations, like your organization, who wanted to get certification against international standards such as ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO 45001, etc.

jeancloude17 likes this.
  4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

The auditor isn't there to mention such things. No their job - even if they are smart enough to know.
    As Tony says, this is wrong. IAF is the group which oversees the Certification process.
    Not sure what this has to do with things. Customers are only interested in your product while it's good. But wait until you have a major issue and they'll want to know how you let it happen. That's when you QMS - and its certification - come into play.
    Do you know which certifying body? Check their website. Does it have any indication that it's a member of the IAF?
    This organization is your national accreditation body and a member of IAF. Take a look at their website. Your Certification Body should be accredited by them - or possibly (depending on who is chosen) accredited in another country.

Whatever, if you maintained a certificate to ISO 9001:2008 and had audits during that time and are only now upgrading your system, then there is something very broken.

jeancloude17 likes this.
  5. jeancloude17

jeancloude17 Member

But for now I'm interested 9001 only, IAF it's not necessary... We will upgraded 2008 into 2015, it has already expired for many years

6. jeancloude17

jeancloude17 Member

I'll check asap

7. Andy Nichols

I don't think you understand fully...

Your customer(s) may not understand this either...
    [​IMG]

jeancloude17 likes this.
  8. jeancloude17

jeancloude17 Member

That's true!
    These have been very intense years.
    Jokes aside, I came to work here about a year ago just to accomplish this upgrade, I have no idea why they decided with all this delay to upgrade the ISO, but that's the way it is, I don't feel like asking for explanations, what was there before they hired me I try not to let them interest me or ask questions about it.

Thank you very much for your answers, you are kind, so is tony s, thank you for your kindness

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

tony s and Andy Nichols like this.
  9. Andy Nichols

Be sure to come and ask your questions about ISO 9001 implementation. If the QMS is based in ISO 9001:2008, it can be salvaged in many ways. There's also likely some opportunity to improve what existed. Let us know how we can help.

tony s likes this.
  10. jeancloude17

jeancloude17 Member

In my country IAF cover food healthy, nothing about software.
    Rina offers itself as an accredited body to issue quality management sstem certifications in accordance with ISO 9001 for various commodity sectors and related certification schemes.
    IAF here don't do that. This is my opinion, but I may be wrong... If so please point it out to me

We are not exactly software, we don't develop software but we build models that have to manage sometimes the energy released by hydrogen fuel cells, sometimes we deal with the road mobilization of hybrid cars, you have to manage how the power to the wheels is distributed, whether by endothermic engines i by electric motors.
    Perhaps "software modeling" is a term that best describes what the company in which I serve deals with.

Bye from italy

11. Andy Nichols

IAF is a governing body over the Accreditation Bodies of each country. It doesn't offer or cover any specific industry in the way you describe. Review the (large) diagram I posted earlier in the thread. Check the IAF.nu website.

RINA is a Certification Body, not an Accreditation Body. See here: https://www.rina.org/en/qms-iso-9001

jeancloude17 likes this.
  12. jeancloude17

jeancloude17 Member

thanks very much for your explanATION..
    I will check yopur link asap
    Bye

13. jeancloude17

jeancloude17 Member

I

I'm talking about ISO9001 not ISO17021, that is for the labouratory of phisical/ chemistry, iso 9001 is more generic

14. Andy Nichols

ISO/IEC 17025 is for labs.

jeancloude17 likes this.
  15. jeancloude17

jeancloude17 Member

youre right, excuse me but my lack of preparation, my inexperience.
    Thanks a lot for the advice

16. Andy Nichols

Thats what we are here for - to help.

jeancloude17 and Atul Khandekar like this.
  17. Andrew Murray

Andrew Murray Member

I'm extremely new to ISO9001, but do have some thoughts on measuring the software development process. I thought I'd share ahead of me having to figure this out for my own company.

Your software will have some customer, that may be an internal or external one, and they will have requirements about what that software should do.

The performance of the software engineering team ought to be measured based on it's ability to translate requirements to software and to do that consistently.

Therefore I would be interested in measuring project overspend (in terms of effort or timescales) on delivering software - projects overspending is a symptom of something going wrong (bad estimate, poor performance, unmitigated risks) - and if projects overspend then you are not going to consistently be able to deliver on requirements.

You could measure defect rate (bugs reported) as some measure of quality - however if you measure project overspend by looking at estimated vs actual effort - then you implicitly factor defects into this. (And avoid gaming of the overspend KPI by finishing a project on time but with bugs).

I fear that anything that digs deeper into the process may be counter productive. And may tie you into a particular method of developing software (agile is increasingly popular).

Andy Nichols likes this.
  18. pkfraser

pkfraser Active Member

Andrew
    Bear in mind that many customers don't know what they want, or even what is possible, and at the same time many developers are unable to put themselves in the position of the end-user and so anticipate actual usage requirements. Bug rate / speed of fixing / customer satisfaction feedback / number of changes to requirements / even the number of repeat orders can help. Although I admit that customer/user expectations are lower than when I started - Microsoft has perhaps led the way...