1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

ISO 9001:2015 & Machine Validation

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by nwall1985, Jun 22, 2023.

1. nwall1985

nwall1985 New Member

Our company has purchased a new Lathe to machine existing parts. The machine was purchased with a certificate of compliance. A random sampling of the finished parts will also be inspected against the drawing prior to shipment to the customer. Is validation of the Lathe still needed?

If not, do I need a policy to state that post production inspection is sufficient to bypass validation?

2. MonsterEnergy22

MonsterEnergy22 Member

Key word "Appropriate stages", ISO 9001 doesn't mention "Inspection", anywhere I believe? It's based on risk, is this the only part that goes from Lathe to Storage? What would you do if your Pre-dispatch failed? Could you have caught it earlier? Why/can't/won't you randomly sample inspect coming off the lathe? What if a new member of staff operates the machine, are you just going to let the parts through?

Whilst I don't think it's necessary to inspect coming off the lathe as you say if the risk is minimal however I'd want to catch any potentional problems earlier, but at the end of the day it's up to you to determine the controls you think are necessary.

You could monitor the product from the Lathe for a while, and phase out inspections, is the Lathe part of a preventative maintenance program to support this decision?

RonR Quality Pro likes this.
  3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

nwall: I'm not sure about your question. ISO 9001 only requires what might be termed process validation where product cannot be subsequently inspected. As a lathe operator (in the dim and very distant past) all the parts produced can be gauged in some fashion. Now, it's possible that some form of capability study should be performed - a run of 50 parts to determine how capable a feature/tolerance can be repeated (using the classic "SPC" study).

Don't over look that ISO 9001 doesn't require any sophistication - 177 nations use the requirements, many of them 3rd World countries.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
  4. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

If you're concern is about the requirement in clause 8.5.1f, the answer is "not needed". The resulting output of lathe machining process can always be verified by measurement activities.
    No need for a policy. The statement in the standard is already a policy in itself.

John C. Abnet likes this.
  5. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

What @tony s said.

Be well.