1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Internal Audit NC - HR process

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Baner, Sep 9, 2023.

1. Baner

Baner Member

Hi Everyone ,

During Internal Audit for HR process I had an observation in the recruitment Process done by HR team .
    A certain employee from the Purchase department has resigned & has a notice period of 1 month .Till the time of notice period HR department was unable to get the new candidate replaced & hence the previous employee left the organization serving his notice period and no new employee joined by that time & as a result the position is still vacant & work is getting delayed . I want that this situation does not get repeat again & link this scenario to our QMS system . Can we link this with any requirements in our standard . How can a system be developed .
    Apology for writing a statement below
    If few employees only understand the language of NC & will take actions only if NC is given .Can I give any NC for the above so that system runs smoothly for my Organization & if yes , then to whom this NC should go Hr,top management etc...

Thanks ,

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Can I ask you what you hope to achieve by writing such a non-conformity?

3. Baner

Baner Member

I hope that if we highlight this now & bring it in system by means of a corrective action we can prevent this failure to happen again with some other departments.
    In Industry if you don't hire people at the correct time the workload gets distributed to your subordinates . The subordinate does additional work apart from his own work till you hire the new person . All the trouble is with the subordinate but actually the trouble has to be taken by HR who has not provided the person on time .
    Since the work is going on so HR finds himself relaxed & the process runs slow for recruitment . If you write an NC to the HR he would give a corrective action & would follow the same & hence the system will be smooth .

4. Andy Nichols

I’d suggest this is life. I’m very familiar with what you describe, as are others. Feel free to write a non-conformity. Come back and share the results…

5. yodon

yodon Well-Known Member

Unless work isn't getting done, what is the nonconformity? Arguably, you could write it against 7.1.2 if you have evidence of the inability to effectively execute the quality management system.

It may well be that HR is not "at fault" here. Maybe their hands are tied by upper management (e.g., not allowing for remote / hybrid work, capping salary below expectations, etc.). I could readily see a NC floundering because there's nothing the owner can do. It might be best worked through Management Review, take an action against 'adequacy of resources' or 'actions taken to address risks' (employees leaving).

tony s and Andy Nichols like this.
  6. Andy Nichols

Exactly. If there's a problem, try using problem solving tools, such as 8D.

7. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Do you want to hire the right person or just any person? Hiring takes time and in reality these days 1 month is pretty short. The only area I see for a possible NC issue is if the duties where unable to be taken up by others in the organization to keep things running until the new person is in place.

RonR Quality Pro likes this.
  8. RonR Quality Pro

RonR Quality Pro Active Member

I agree with Golfman. Writing the NC against the HR department because they couldn't find a suitable candidate would not be very effective. Better to write an NC (if absolutely necessary) for the inability of the company (as a whole) to continue to function under this condition. Contigency planning comes to mind immediately.

MonsterEnergy22 likes this.
  9. Mikey

Mikey Member

This is the world we live in now. Of course we would always love to bring in fresh talent when someone puts in notice, have them train together, and all goes well. In reality, HR is probably having the same problem as most every other HR person. Lack of candidates. You can have the greatest documented recruitment process ever written. It wont help you if you aren't getting qualified candidates, or for that matter any candidates, applying for the job. If you can write an NC and put an action plan in place that fixes this, every organization in the world will be wanting your resume.

10. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

All good comments so far. Let us be realistic. It can take three months or more to bring in a replacement employee. Just the act of advertising the opening, collecting and reviewing applications/resumes or CVs can take a month. Then there are interviews, the selection process and finally a period where the candidate delays while (hopefully) giving notice to their current employer. The higher the position, the longer it can take.

I did not see a comment that the HR process had been reviewed, only about the time frame. Did they take normal action to fill the position? If not, where is the nonconformity?

John C. Abnet and tony s like this.