1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

How to Address Opportunities for ISO 9001:2015

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Miss Tiff, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Miss Tiff

Miss Tiff New Member

I am working with a company to assist them in transitioning from the old standard to the new one. I have identified the risks that and will address them through the use of an FMEA analysis. Likewise, I have also identified opportunities through the use of SWOT, but how would I go about helping the organization figure out which opportunities it should address? Thanks in advance

2. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

I would look at a combination of likelihood of success, impact to the org. and management time required. You could use a 1-5 scale.

3. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Let's say that I have a Document Control process. This process is using a manual approach in review, approval and distribution. Then we have identified that there's an opportunity to automate the process. Should I need to help my organization to figure out if we will act on this opportunity among other opportunities? Can your organization just decide on what opportunities you need to act on? If you want to have some prioritization scheme like the FMEA, you may need to develop your own criteria (as Golfman25 suggested). But you can have a simpler approach by just presenting the opportunities to your management and let them decide which among the opportunities you need to address on a particular time frame (this month, quarter or year).

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

May I ask, when you say "I did this and I did that", are you the one who has done these things? If so, I'd ask you to completely revisit what you are doing and STOP...

5. normzone

normzone Well-Known Member

" May I ask, when you say "I did this and I did that", are you the one who has done these things? If so, I'd ask you to completely revisit what you are doing and STOP... "

To quote my external auditor while he was chewing my ass off about that approach, " attempting to do top management's job for them ".

Andy Nichols likes this.
  6. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

Why do they need help deciding what opportunity to pursue?

It may help to walk them through a force field analysis. It might also help to do a ROI study using a quality cost calculator.

I have no affiliation with Mind Tools. (Wish I did!)

tony s likes this.
  7. Bhuwan Sharma

Bhuwan Sharma New Member

In my opinion if the opportunities are identified then must be addressed by the management and can be divided into SHORT TERM,MID TERM and LONG TERM target dates. As per the severity, scale and likelihood the categorization and target date can be fixed.This could be done through the Risk and Opportunity register and can be discussed with management in MRM.
    I hope it will help.