1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

[HELP] Intermediate Check

Discussion in 'ISO 17025 - Calibration and Test Laboratories' started by Rossdhan, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Rossdhan

Rossdhan New Member

Hey guys! I'm new here in this forum, I actually created my account just to ask you guys about intermediate checking of your working standards.

If you guys could just point me or give a link to a reference materials, that would be very helpful!

Thanks in advance!

2. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @Rossdhan and welcome to the site.
    I assume from your question you are referring to ISO 17025:2007 clause
    d) "...working standards and control charts..."
    e) "intermediate checks..."
    (Please correct me if my assumptions are wrong).

I would first council that you should be careful not to commingle the two ("d" and "e") as they may stand alone.

Remember the goal/intent of the primary clause 7.7 Ensuring Validity of Results. In other words, is your lab equipment providing
    results that the equipment is expected to provide? The standard lists numerous ways this can be done.

1- Your location may use working standards with control charts (monitors the consistency within the control limits established over time).

2- Your location may perform intermediate checks. These are done in-between schedule calibrations. For example,...
    a) you may have an HRC hardness tester in your lab.
    b) You may have this piece of equipment calibrated annually by an external provider, who comes on site and performs the calibration.
    c) However, to ensure that the equipment continues to provide the expected results between those annual calibration, you may perform "intermediate checks" (e.g. start of each day) by taking hits
    on a NIST traceable block and recording the results.

These "intermediate checks" let you know if something goes awry with your equipment in between the scheduled calibrations.

Hope this helps.

Be well.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Rossdhan and Andy Nichols like this.
  3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

^^^^ What he said....:D

John C. Abnet likes this.
  4. Rossdhan

Rossdhan New Member

Thank you for your reply.

I forgot to mention that I'm from a calibration laboratory that's why I need to monitor the behavior of the standard over time.

I'm looking for determining which decision rule to apply regarding the measurement using upper and lower limit, and interval.

Thanks!