1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Gage R&R study with different gage manufacturers

Discussion in 'Gage R&R and MSA - Measurement Systems Analysis' started by Joshua Taylor, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Joshua Taylor

Joshua Taylor New Member

Hello,
    I have a question presented to me by one of my team members and I would like to know if I answered him correctly.
    "When grouping into families like we currently do for R&R’s can different manufacturers measuring the same characteristic and same range be in the same family?"
    In other words, gage A from mfr X measures a diameter and gage B from mfr Y measures the same diameter, can the gages be grouped together or must all mfr X gages be grouped as one family and all mfr Y gages be grouped as another family?

My response was that all gages measuring the same characteristic withe same level of detail can be grouped together regardless of gage manufacturer because all of the same type of gage are traceable to a single calibration standard.

Agree? Disagree? Thoughts? Need more clarification?

2. _Zeno_

_Zeno_ Member

Calibration is separate from R&R. I wouldn't group together gages from different manufacturers. If there were a performance difference between them, you'd want to know that wouldn't you?

3. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

I would recommend performing a statistical comparison between two gages from the different manufacturers. If there is no statistical difference, group them together. If there is, put them in separate groups.

4. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

For us non stats people, what would this look like?

5. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

I would recommend either a Bland-Altman plot or a Youden plot.

Check in the Resources section of this forum under Practical Quality Engineering Resources for MSA Tools 1.0. BevD posted an Excel file that will perform this analysis.

Bev D likes this.
  6. Ferenco

Ferenco New Member

I am agree with this, or provide more details. Also you can try to use Minitab or similar to find better way of gauging with\without grouping.