1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Gage R&R calculation for bilateral & single-sided tolerance

Discussion in 'Gage R&R and MSA - Measurement Systems Analysis' started by _Zeno_, Aug 26, 2016.

1. _Zeno_

_Zeno_ Member

Are there differences between how a R&R is calculated depending on whether the part tolerance is bilateral or single-sided?

2. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

Atul Khandekar likes this.
  3. ncwalker

ncwalker Well-Known Member

I will go zen on you and answer your question with a question. :) It is total tolerance that feeds all the equations. Is there a different way of determining total tolerance between a bilateral and one-sided tolerance?

4. _Zeno_

_Zeno_ Member

That's the way I've always seen the issue. Our ERP system (PLEX) has GR&R functionality that halves the R&R value if the characteristic being evaluated is single-sided (it grabs the tolerancing information from the part specification table which also feeds its control charting module). Having never encountered this in the past, I turn to the experts in this forum.

5. ncwalker

ncwalker Well-Known Member

That doesn't make a lot of sense. I could specify a diameter as 8.00 mm +/- 0.05 mm. Now, were this a pin I was using for a press fit operation, maintaining the SAME total tolerance, I would expect to encounter it specified as 8.00 mm +0 / - 0.10 mm. In other words, the nominal and the upper limit are aligned. If your software would see this and categorically halve the R&R value, I wouldn't agree that's correct simply because the nominal were on one of the limits. What matters is the total tolerance in the percent of tolerance calculations. Location of the nominal within this band is immaterial. Now, if the pin had a circularity control of 0.05, I would expect things to be halved because that actually IS half the tolerance of the diameter, you can't be more circular than zero.