1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Flying parts - Incoming inspection

Discussion in 'Sampling, Standards and Inspection' started by Redai Paul, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Redai Paul

Redai Paul New Member

Hello everyone,

Did someone heard about the new incoming system called Flying parts ?
    I heard about this system in a training.
    I someone have some information about this please let me know I would like to have more information.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I'd question the person who provided the training...

3. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Flying parts -- that happens every Monday morning when frustration takes over because they don't meet the print. :)

Kent L likes this.
  4. Redai Paul

Redai Paul New Member

Hello, thank you for your replays but I really need more information of this new system. i would be grateful to get more information from someone who actually implemented this system.

@Andy Nichols Unfortunatly the disscusion was betwen 2 guys from a company and it was at the end of the last day of training, so I could not get more information. :)

5. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

if you 'overheard' something (?) it's possible that they were using an internal company 'nickname'. it's also possible that 'flying' is a description of the type of part. I haven't heard of any such system and neither has google. (at least the first 3 pages returned in several searches.

unless you have more details about this system, we can't really help

Andy Nichols likes this.
  6. Andy Nichols

I've heard of flying parts. But that was usually when the machinist found a feature out of tolerance and they lost it...:eek::D;)

7. Redai Paul

Redai Paul New Member

From the discussion I have noticed a few details. Basically it refers to Ok / NOK parts received from the supplier. If for example I have notification / claims open to the supplier a necessary number pf parts should be checked, if the particular problem do not occur for lets say 30 enters at the incoming inspection the article will enter in skip lot. If the any other problem occurs checking the part will be reinstall and so on.

At lest this should be the principle of the system.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  8. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

OK from your description, the term flying parts is a nickname as in the parts “fly through incoming inspection”. The official name for this system is Skip Lot Inspection. Often used as an integral part of a dock-to-stock program.

You can start researching this by searching for skip lot inspection. Basically it sets a number of sequential lots that have to pass inspection, setting up a run of lots that can be accepted without inspection. There is a monitoring frequency that can trigger a return to 100% of the lots being inspected until the supplier again demonstrates a. Track record of sending acceptable lots.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  9. Andy Nichols

I've operated a similar system at Receiving Inspection. Catalog items, with zero history of rejection were candidates for "dock to stock". Parts were simply identified and count verified before going straight to stores. Parts made to our drawings had to have more rigorous rules of inspection (the higher the rejections, the more controls) and we also considered the list of "Top 10 Worst" suppliers as influence on what was inspected.

Kent L likes this.