1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Documentation of inspection results!

Discussion in 'Documentation Control, Procedures, Templates,...' started by S1D3K1CK, Aug 5, 2020.

1. S1D3K1CK

S1D3K1CK Active Member

I am looking into a new way for our facility to record our documentation of inspection results. The current (unreliable, ineffective) way our facility documents, is on the back of our traveler (work order). Now, this is a good way to set ourselves up for failure because, for one, the way they have it designed is the inspector physically writes in the nominal then writes in the result. I notice that it is very inconsistent from order to order, day to day, and inspector to inspector. I want to get away from paper documentation of results and start automating this. What software and devices are a good starting point for someone to program and design inspection reports easily? Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

One relatively inexpensive method is to use barcodes and scanners. Think like a hardware store (Ace is a great example - if you have them in CA) use them for inventory control of fasteners they sell (for example) where a series of bar codes may represent the sizes/conditions to be recorded and any reasons for rejection, so the Operator simply scans the bar code into the computer. Can be linked to all kinds of other markers - lot, id., station etc.

S1D3K1CK likes this.
  3. S1D3K1CK

S1D3K1CK Active Member

Glad you mentioned because I have been looking into that! My plan was to create work orders for every part we produce and laminate each work order. (the reason for lamination is because our current process is "print new work order every time we do that project" and should eliminate using alot of paper) The work order will have a space for a QR code and we would scan it with a tablet and that would link to everything attached to that part number (drawings, set-up photos, control plans, inspection reports, etc.). We were looking into the Keyence handheld barcode scanner but the software doesn't state that it can accommodate everything we are looking into. Eventually, we would like to get the operators to use the tablets to clock-in/out of the projects. But I cannot find a system that is capable of all these.