1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Document Record Numbers

Discussion in 'Documentation Control, Procedures, Templates,...' started by Karly Chester Etzel, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Karly Chester Etzel

Karly Chester Etzel Member

I'm working to transfer all of our paper documents into electronic copies managed in our EQS.
    We're currently working with ISO13485 and 21CFR 820 as our frameworks for our QMS. We've also started to incorporate 21 CFR 211

We are also implementing a record numbering system at the same time.

My question is: What's the acceptable way of adding record numbers to existing records?
    We've determined that we will add a box that says:

Quality Record #:_____________
    Assigned By: ___________
    Date:________

I'm wondering if we need to add these by hand and then scan the documents or if we can add in the box on the PDF before we protect the document and file it.

Thank you for your help

2. yodon

yodon Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I guess my first question would be to ask why you want to add record numbers to existing records? Are you solving a specific problem? What would the date line be for existing records?

On the surface, it sounds like you're making things more complicated than they need to be.

Regardless, since you'll be storing electronic records, don't forget 21 CFR 11. In all cases, data integrity needs to be maintained so as long as you do that and provide the required protection (and audit trail, etc.), the approach you take is up to you.

Jennifer Kirley likes this.
  3. Karly Chester Etzel

Karly Chester Etzel Member

The records have not been assigned a record number. The paper document is filed in a folder and a quality record number has never been assigned. I am trying to address this gap in our QMS. In order to load them into our Electronic QMS I will need to assign each one a record number.

We are Part 11 compliant and have validated our system using according to GAMP 5 guidelines. Thank you for bringing up this point.

Sorry for the late reply and thank you for your help!

Atul Khandekar likes this.
  4. Said BELAJ

Said BELAJ Member

Hi,

I reference is very useful for filling and tracking a record. Use a simple coding taking into consideration the following:

Type of the document
    Departement which produce it
    Year
    Serial
    etc
    For example:

QAD-PRO-2019-0001

QAD = Quality departement
    PRO= Procedure
    2019=year
    0001 = serial number

Understanding this, you net to set a table of codes

Types
    Departements

etc.

But all depends on what documents you are handling by who. You need to analyise in order to indentify and codify.

Good luck

5. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

With respect, this is very cumbersome and old fashioned. Coding documents and listing them is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Trust me, I inherited such a coded system and I waster hours searching for documents which could simply have been called by their title and filed as such.

6. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Is there no way to say that records generated before a certain date are maintained in the current fashion, however records going forward will be in the new format? Seems like a lot of non-value added work to go back and update a bunch of old records.

To confirm, you're talking about records (i.e., forms that have been completed) and not forms (i.e., standardized templates that will be completed at various stages within the process)?

Side note - considering the date of my posting to that of the original poster, there may be no response. I haven't looked at the OP's activity here in QFO.