1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Document Control

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Natalie9289, May 27, 2021.

1. Natalie9289

Natalie9289 New Member

Hi,
    Please can you help. We have a number of controlled documents that form part of our contracts sent out to clients. These are our template documents. If someone decides to add an additional to column to one controlled document, without it being a documented change and sends it out to the customer - would this be classed as a non-conformance?
    I keep having the same argument at work about this. Help!

2. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @Natalie9289 ;
    The short answer is "no". This assumes that the intent and the required completion information is not lost by allowing modifications. If the 3rd party auditor writes up this type of stuff, then he/she is missing the intent.

However, your organization DOES need to consider the precedent that allowing "modifications" can set....
    * Do the individuals accessing have write permissions and are they changing (without proper change point control), the template, which it sounds like your organization wishes to control"?
    * Why is it necessary for the user to add columns? Can the sometimes required columns and/or generic columns be added to the template, which would meet individual unique requirements?
    * If there is always the potential for modifications to the "used" version of the template, then in order to send the correct message to the organization team members you may wish to consider adding a boiler plate to the template that states something like...
    "In use modifications which add to this template are permitted, however, no elimination of template required fields is permitted."

I would not be as worried about what allowing modifications says to your 3rd party auditor, as I would about how you allow modifications while continuing to managing/,maintaining your organization's culture

Hope this helps.

Be well.

3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Natalie9289, welcome!

I'm going to ask a couple of questions: Are you asking from the view point of the customer? Or an auditor? As far as ISO 9001 is concerned it may not be a "non-conformity" as such. Finally, does your document control process discuss this? I will say that forms should not be arbitrarily changed at the whim of any member of staff. Allowing people to add/subtract data fields, for example, without approval can lead to all manner of issues. If the templates are changed, what happens when the data is being analyzed and someone discovers the form was changed and that data is no longer recorded?

John C. Abnet likes this.
  4. Natalie9289

Natalie9289 New Member

Thank you for your replies.
    I am asking from the view point of an internal auditor. But also as someone who manages the QMS.
    I have several occurances where forms are overwritten and changed without formally being signed off.
    I always see it that we use the forms to ensure that each customer receives the same treatment. If a change is to be made to improve that experience, let's document it. Make it an approved changed. Not just change documents where someone sees fit?
    We have our recertification coming on shortly and I am rather concerned.

5. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Consistent with the concerns @Andy Nichols raised, it sounds like you may indeed have room for concern as the original question does not seem to be an isolated event. As I pointed out previously, it is important that the organization culture understands and respects (and BENEFITS from !) the necessary change point control.

How is top management involved and supporting your efforts. Remember, by rule, this is not YOUR management system, but Top Management's"

Hope this helps.

Be well.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  6. Andy Nichols

As an internal auditor, you are very correct to raise this as an issue. It is difficult to cite and ISO 9001-2015 requirement, however, because - as you are well aware - the standard doesn't mention whether "forms" or "templates" are included. That's for your organization to determine, hence my question about your own Document Control Process. What does that require?

7. Natalie9289

Natalie9289 New Member

To answer both questions.
    Top management don't get too involved until an issue arises. They also do not follow processes set. And see no harm in saving documents outside of the system. This has resulted in the MD using old documents!
    It has always been said, any change should be documented.

8. Andy Nichols

Is that because it's clearly stated in the Document control procedure?

To be honest, if the MD doesn't get it, then as an Internal Auditor, I'd let it lie and make a note in your audit summary. If it causes a problem in the future, you have reported it.

9. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

Welcome Natalie9289!

ISO 9001:2015 makes no reference of exactly what controls are required for what documents. The 2015 revision doesn't even require a document control procedure. Required controls are expected to be somehow implemented, with the basics referenced in other clauses: persons have correct process information available to them when and where needed. Some clauses note requirements for retained documented information - those are records.

There are cases where a template is appropriate as a starting structure for a specific purpose, containing certain information as a minimum but is altered for specific needs. A Supplier Quality Agreement is one example. This document could be referenced simply as a template in the procedure. The basic document should be controlled to make sure the minimum stays in place, but final iterations are rightfully tailored to the needed application.

Can you give us more detail? I do not see your description of what column is being added to what document and why. If your organization has a document control procedure and managers are not adhering to it, that is something the internal auditor can and should raise as an issue. The behavior should be corrected, or else the controls adjusted; the QMS may at times need updates or improvement too. Maybe the changes are needed. If so, they can be added as controlled documents if they are QMS critical.