1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Dimensional Layout

Discussion in 'APQP and PPAP' started by Aman M, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Aman M

Aman M New Member

Hi Guys, New QE here trying to learn the PPAP process. My question is can we submit a Dimensional analysis in English(inches) even though the Drawing is in Metric units(mm) when including in a PPAP submission?

2. qmr1976

qmr1976 Well-Known Member

That would probably depend on the customer. I would ask them prior to submitting.

3. Aman M

Aman M New Member

Hi qmr1976,
    Thanks for the quick reply. Is there a hard and fast rule per AIAG 4th edition that says one way or the other?

qmr1976 likes this.
  4. qmr1976

You're welcome! Someone is actually borrowing my PPAP manual at the moment but I'm not aware of anything specific. I will try and look into this later today, unless someone else might be able to help. :)

5. qmr1976

The only thing the AIAG manual states 'The organization shall provide evidence that dimensional verifications required by the design record and the control plan have been completed and results indicate compliance with specified requirements. I would recommend converting you English measurements to metric prior to submitting to the customer vs. having your customer converting the measurements.

Aman M likes this.
  6. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @Aman M
    Welcome to the site.

Please allow me in turn to ask some questions to you....
    1- If you were the customer, would you want the units of measure reported back to you to be different than what is on your drawing?
    2- Instead of all the trouble to investigate and determine if you "can" submit data results inconsistent with the customer drawing, why not simply measure in metric or convert,
    ( indicating that conversion was done) ?
    3- If you sent an "inch" dimension drawing to your supplier, and your supplier returned the data as metric, what would your response be ?

Hope this helps.

Be well.

Parag Kumar likes this.
  7. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Many of us old folks still think in terms of English units (old dog, new tricks problem). I automatically know what .040 looks like. I have zero clue what 1 mm looks like. :)

To the OP, we usually put both. That way everyone is satisfied. Good luck.

Aman M likes this.
  8. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Unlikely, however, if you are also IATF 16949 Certified, then there's a requirement to communicate in the (customers') specified "language" which might be interpreted (as @John C. Abnet is pointing out) is metric and not English units of measurement.

Aman M, Parag Kumar and John C. Abnet like this.
  9. Aman M

Aman M New Member

Thanks all for your help.

Andy Nichols and qmr1976 like this.