1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Difference between SQC and SPC

Discussion in 'SPC - Statistical Process Control' started by Kamal, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Kamal

Kamal New Member

Dear all,
    i am new to forum.thanks for creating quality forum after cove forum.
    i want to know difference between SPC and SQC.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Jim Gardner

Jim Gardner Member

To quote Dr.Ishikawa:
    SQC is the application of 14 statistical and analytical tools ( 7 Quality Control + 7 Supplemental) to monitor Process Outputs (Dependent Variables).

SPC is the application of the same 14 tools to control Process Inputs ( Independent Variables).

If you go to ASQ.org/learn about you will find examples of all 14 tools and samples of their use.

3. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

An alternative definition is that SPC is about creating stable processes using Control Charts and SQC is more focused on acceptance testing (inspection) and Guage R&R. (Western Electric Statistical Quality Control Handbook) These two terms have had various definitions over the years.

reynald likes this.
  4. reynald

reynald Member

"These two terms have had various definitions over the years." - I learned from the old Cove not to focus on acronyms but rather on the tools and intent. But these varying definitions is really a pain in the @#s. Talked to some self-proclaimed Lean expert lately and I can't follow a single sentence he is saying. Turned out our definitions are not the same (i.e. i think of VSM as a tool and the actual drawing, he thinks of it as a 2-day exercise/workshop involving line balancing, etc).

Anyways just venting out

Jim Gardner and Bev D like this.