1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Determining Sites for ISO Certification

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Suraiya Ramkissoon, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Suraiya Ramkissoon

Suraiya Ramkissoon Active Member

HI everyone,

I'm currently at a dealership and distribution company setting up an ISO 9001 system.

I was wondering what is the criteria for deciding sites? or locations?

For example:
    Our current set up is one main office where we do the following.
    "The provision of marketing, sales and distribution for light and heavy duty automobiles; agricultural & industrial machinery and implements, batteries, tyres and lubricants; safety and hygienic solutions; office products; crop care; auto rental; and related after sales services; to retail and consumer markets, in compliance with all required guidelines from Principals."
    ----> at this location we don't really do the auto rental process what we do is the back end processing basically.

We have two branches where we do the following:
    "The sales and distribution for light and heavy duty automobiles; agricultural & industrial machinery and implements; batteries, tyres, lubricants and gases; safety and hygienic solutions; office products; crop care solutions and the provision of related after sales services."
    -----> one of these branches however only has 6 people.... I'm trying to figure out if it will really add value to include this branch in the scope of certification?

We have another site at an Airport where we basically conduct the auto rental process... there are two employee there.... do we include this as a "site" in our scope?

Suriaya

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

This is a discussion you'll need to have with your chosen Certification Body. Typically, they will identify (on an attachment to your Certificate which has the scope) the various locations and identification of which parts of the scope apply at that location: -

HQ: (address) Sales, Marketing, Personnel etc

Site 1 & 2 (address): "The sales and distribution for light and heavy duty automobiles; agricultural & industrial machinery and implements; batteries, tyres, lubricants and gases; safety and hygienic solutions; office products; crop care solutions and the provision of related after sales services."

Site 3 (airport address) Auto rental.

Which sites are "in" or "out" of scope and or certification is purely your choice. It's a business needs decision, however, be careful. Having one site "in" and another "out" based on headcount isn't going to work. Your management will be sending the wrong message, customers may ask "Why?" etc.

Also, the CB won't have to visit every site after certification, so the cost shouldn't be too excessive.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  3. Suraiya Ramkissoon

is it advised that the airport location be considered a site?

4. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Let's re-frame the question...Do you expect the processes to be followed at the airport location? If the answer is 'yes', I think that might answer your original question.

Suraiya Ramkissoon likes this.
  5. Graham Thorpe

Graham Thorpe Member

I guess this comes down to understanding your company and your customer needs. I am not sure I have ever checked, as an individual, the certification status of an Auto Rental firm at an airport. Would certification help you win trade from the opposition? If not maybe excluding it from the scope might reduce the price of assessment a bit but not by much.

BUT:

Andy. I assume if the systems are the same on all the Auto Rental sites and the organisation can prove through Audit and Review that their are no 'Issues on that site' no site visits would be needed? But I also assume the CB could ask to go there to check they were not cheating?

6. Andy Nichols

Any location, within the scope of the Quality Management System which is being considered for ISO 9001 Certification must be included. It is your choice what sites are included in the scope, however, if "car rental" is included in the scope and the airport is the only location which rents cars, then you cannot omit it. If other locations rent cars, it simply becomes a business decision about whether to include the airport - if you don't include it, it won't appear on the appendix to your certificate, you will NOT be able to promote ISO certification which implies all locations are IN the QMS

7. Suraiya Ramkissoon

the airport location is the only one in which rental of cars is done. (24/7 too! So I'm also thinking this will affect the Shifts that we have -- does this mean that the auditors will have to audit all the shifts?)

I am remembering when I was at a manufacturing company the CB audited all shifts, particularly the "shift handover"

8. Andy Nichols

For an ISO 9001 audit, maybe they won't but they SHOULD check to see if you did internal audits on the "off shifts"

9. Suraiya Ramkissoon

definitely a point to include in the scope of the internal audit! Thank you!

10. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

The requirements in clause 4.3 specifies that when determining the scope, organization shall consider... the products and services of the organization. If you want all your products and services are covered within the scope, then you have to include car rentals and the site that handles it will be audited. The standard also mention that "the scope shall state the types of products and services covered..." If you don't want car rentals to be covered, then you don't need to include it in the scope statement.