1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

CTQ VS. CTP in context of PFMEA

Discussion in 'FMEA - Failure Modes and Effects Analysis' started by Kristof, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Kristof

Kristof Member

Hello everyone,

I have a dilemma.

Can You explain me the difference between CTQ and CTP in PFMEA?

Thank You in advance.

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Critical to Quality? Critical to Process?

3. Kristof

Kristof Member

Yes,

Critical to Quality, Critical to Process

4. Andy Nichols

What needs explaining?

5. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @Kristof ;
    I don't understand the logic for trying to separate "process" from "quality" in this context. I would argue that it is confusing and wrong to do so. Processes as result of "determine the processes needed" are already critical to quality (CTQ), ie. if the process fails, the result will be poor "quality" (result).

Consider CTQ (critical to quality), as follows...
    if it is WRONG or GONE will it lead to a nonconformance ? (unintended result). If the answer is YES, then it is CTQ.

In regards to the PFMEA format you are using..., is this an internal format? If so, and the organization is asking "what's the difference", then why not change it?

If it is from a customer, ask them what they want (i.e how do they define the difference?) . Most customer supplied formats have an associated "user guide", which has a legend defining each required field.

Hope this helps.

Be well.

6. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

People can’t help themselves. They absolutely must create new names, phrases and acronyms. When that fails they give random definitions to well known words and trick you with them.

I suspect that Critical to Process might mean those characteristics that effect automated equipment, assembly sequences, part presentation orientation, equipment uptime etc. My organization has specifications regarding these that dont’ Directly effect part quality but can slow down manufacturing. (We just call them dimensions, characteristics, requirements and such) But of course since that makes sense it probably isn’t the definition...

7. Andy Nichols

Agreed, Bev! I'm also thinking that CTP affects "special" process control requirements where CTQ may not be as easily checked.

Bev D likes this.