1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Contingency Plans

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Doinita Razus, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Doinita Razus

Doinita Razus Member

Hi All,

Need help please with some examples or templates of contingency plans according to IATF 16949:2016 standard.

I will very appreciate if somebody could help me please.

Regards,

Doinita

2. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @Doinita Razus and welcome to the site;
    Before you decide if you need a matrix or not, (certainly can be a valuable approach, but not required), I would like to provide some considerations.

1- This clause in the IATF standard was written selfishly (appropriately so) by the IATF team. Consider your contingencies specific to the "events" which would cause disruption of conforming product to your customer. (plant fire, equipment failure, flood, trucking [logistics] strike, etc...etc...)
    2- If your organization has been in business for any amount of time, it is likely that your Sales dept., Customer Service dept., Quality dept, etc...have already provide some information on this topic (accurate or not) to the customer, as it is very common for customers (especially the OEM) to send a pre-fab contingency questionnaire form out on a regular basis. I would recommend you check to see what (if anything) is already being committed to by your organization.
    3- It is possible (logical) that your organization (regardless of what the IATF standard states or what the customer asks for) has already considered the "events" that trigger a contingency plan, during normal business planning and/or in response to IATF clause 6.1 (Actions to address risks and opportunities). If so, then those identified risks can simply point to your contingency plan to identify the actions that will be taken if any of the risk "events" occur.

If your organization decides to use matrix, it should be whatever you and your organization need to serve the purpose (not to serve the auditor). Some of the ones I have seen have columns such as "event"; "event risk"; "owner"; response options; etc.... (A PFMEA format is also a potential tool for this).

Note: Remember to include the risk of communication disruption via cyber attacks. This was "added" to the standard via the Sanctioned Interpretation 16-18.

Hope this helps.

Be well.

3. Doinita Razus

Doinita Razus Member

Thank you John,

Just a quick question if you could help

For example it happened a major equipment failure and we are not able to deliver the required Qty of products in the target timeline to our customer.In this case we should have a contingency plan to adress our needs and ask for support from our most preferred suppliers or any other second parties.
    The question is how far we go with asking for support?

For example we have a list of at least 10 preferred suppliers , so how how many we have to include in our contingency plas being our support in such major incidents?

4. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

I am unable to answer that for your organization @Doinita Razus . Your organization will need to determine the risk and develop contingencies accordingly. "We" are unable to judge those risks for you.

e.g.
    If your "top 3" choices are all held by the same financial group, then it seems obvious that all three could become unavailable at the same time, meaning you would need to resort to your "4th" choice. If options "5' and "6" are both in the same off-shore country, then it is feasible that "5" and "6" could become unavailable at the same time, meaning you would need to resort to option "7". Etc..etc...

Hope this helps.

Be well.

5. Doinita Razus

Doinita Razus Member

Yes you helped me a lot thank you

John C. Abnet likes this.
  6. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Much of your response comes from understanding "key equipment" and the impact on supply. Do you have a second machine of same/similar capacity? If not, then do you have another location who could do the same work? Could you warehouse a number of day's production as a buffer supply? If not, do you have a local source (not exactly a "supplier") with similar machinery?

John C. Abnet likes this.
  7. Doinita Razus

Doinita Razus Member

Good morning All,

I completed all my planned IATF internal audits for 2019 and i i am planning now the audits for 2020.
    Can somebody give me please some ideas what should be audited like every quarter, every 6 months, every year?
    As my company is IATF accredited we are planning the aaudits for 3 years and every year some audits are repeating but some of them are done just in year first, some in year 2 etc.

If you have any better ideas how to plan the IATF internal audits i will be very glad for helping me with some advices.

Best regards,
    Doinita

8. Andy Nichols

You are NOT required to have a calendar of audits into next year. You can do that, but if you understand what it will cause you - in terms of problems - you will understand that it's a waste of time. I have (under ISO/TS 16949) used a rolling "window" of planning which took into consideration important things like process performance etc and factored that into selecting scopes etc. Making an arbitrary calendar is, in my experience useless, even if your CB likes it!

9. R.BALASUBRAMANI

R.BALASUBRAMANI New Member

Hai I hereby giving the Contingency Plan which I had prepared.
    Please give your feedback after reviewing.

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

SUDHASIVA likes this.
  10. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Do you really need to include the root cause for every unfortunate event such as production stoppage due to power outage? Contingency plans are reactive in nature. These are the measures that organizations will need to employ once emergency situations (e.g. equipment failure) happen to ensure continuity of supply.

Another thing. Do you need to determine the risk level? Then reassess it later?

11. R.BALASUBRAMANI

R.BALASUBRAMANI New Member

Dear Tony
    No need to include the root cause in contingency plan as power cut can happen due to failure in outside and inside. If power cut occurs because of outside issue for that we can't justify the root cause. If power cut occurs because of inside problems, there is no chance since the circuit made inside will be perfect.

12. SUDHASIVA

SUDHASIVA New Member

Hi Quality forum, Sir Kindly explain about contigency plans

13. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Contingency plans are alternative measures in case the primary setup fails or fades to work/deliver. It's like bringing a spare tire in case of a flat tire, so you can continue driving your car. Having bench players for substitution to the starting five, so the basketball team can continue their dominant play. The intent is to ensure continuity.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  14. Diego_99atv

Diego_99atv Member

wich department should be the owner of contingency plan? General Manager?

15. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

Hello, Diego.

i don't usually consider the General Manager as a department, but you could perhaps classify it as a Leadership process.

It really depends on who has responsibility/oversight for implementing the activities of the contingency plan. For my organization, while it involves IT/Infrastructure, HR, Operations, Risk, and a couple of other teams, the ownership of the contingency plan rests with Operations as we have the skills and bandwidth to put it into motion should the need arise.

Diego_99atv likes this.
  16. Daniel Attwater

Daniel Attwater Member

Hi,

Is there a set list causes which should be in a contingency plan? I live in the UK so natural disasters dont really occur. Is there still a need to include it?
    Thanks,

Dan

17. Andy Nichols

Hi Dan:

The answer is no, not "clauses". It's really a case of sitting down as a management team and putting on the table what kinds of things would disrupt your ability to provide your customer what they bought and you said you'd deliver. It's true the UK doesn't often get the same kinds of disasters that other parts of the World experience (I do recall a tremour in Cornwall, once), but you do have weather-related power supply failures, snow storms, flooding (I lived in Gloucestershire so speak from experience), people don't turn up for work, suppliers go bankrupt and so on.

List those - generically - and how "risky" they are "High", Medium" or "Low" and then what your work around plan is.

Daniel Attwater likes this.
  18. Daniel Attwater

Daniel Attwater Member

Thank you for the support.

Andy Nichols likes this.