1. Hello and Welcome to The Quality Forum Online...Continuing in the spirit of People Helping People !
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Clause 4.4.1.2 Product safety

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by morteza, Apr 17, 2017.

1. morteza

morteza Member

Hi all

I am not native to English. I faced with a problem about the concept of the title of clause 4.4.1.2 “product safety” in IATF 16949. I have seen the term “safety part” in PSA documents such as Q63 1000 many times.

So, my question is that:

What is the right meaning of “product safety”? Does it mean “safety part” or “safety of product”?

Thanks all for your knowledge sharing.

2. johnnymo77

johnnymo77 Member

In the definitions on page 14: "standards relating to the design and manufacturing of products to ensure they do not represent harm or hazard to customers"

Usually, the OEM tells us the part is Safety related. Brake systems and components are Safety because the customer may be injured if the brakes fail. The drawing will have an inverted delta.

3. Erick García

Erick García New Member

Hello johnnymo77, i hope you can help me. I have a concern, if my company is a paint supplier (We don´t design and don´t manufactur the product) the customer design and manufactur the product and send to us to paint and we send to them back, do we sould have a product safety procedure or related documentation?

Thanks for your support.

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Are you seeking IATF 16949 Certification?

5. johnnymo77

johnnymo77 Member

I know very little about painting, so it's only my opinion...

I can imagine a painted part getting hot and creating bad fumes.

I think you should ask your customer. They should know and tell you.

They should have specified the paint and painting process with safety in mind. That may be why they have not told you.