1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Chapter 8.3 Embedded Software - When applicable?

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by DanBer, Jun 7, 2017.

1. DanBer

DanBer New Member

Hello,

I'm interested to know the prerequisites, when chapter 8.3 (embedded Software) is relevant e.g:
    - Is it applicable, if I have an ASIC, which only reads some Parameters saved in an OTP during start-up?
    - Is it only relevant, if I have functions of a microcontroller on the ASIC?
    - Is it applicable, if I have a state machine on the ASIC?
    - What about FPGAs?
    Generally I would like to know, if there is a Standard (IEC? ISO?), which defines the term 'embedded software'. Several definitions can be found in the Internet, which sometimes have different wordings.

Regards and thank you very much
    DanBer

2. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

You are not the only one raising these questions.

IATF 16949:2016 - Embedded Software

You might try MISRA (Motor Industry Software Reliability Association) to see whether they have defined it.

These definitions tend to be unique to a specific industry. For example, the industry that I am currently in would call this firmware, not embedded software. Other industries would limit firmware to things like drivers and BIOS.

3. DanBer

DanBer New Member

Thank you very much for the feedback. Do you know any definition of embedded software for automotive industries? Is it necessary to work with chapter 8.3, if you have firmware?

Regards
    DanBer

4. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

I do not. I have been out of the automotive industry for a long time, which is why I recommended MISRA as a resource.