1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

"Catch up" 510k

Discussion in 'Medical Devices (21 CFR Part 820)' started by Emilia, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Emilia

Emilia New Member

Hello! I am looking for some input on the idea of a "catch up" 510k. When you have made several minor changes that only required a letter to file, but you want to update your 510k to show the accumulated changes- how is this handled? How is it viewed by the FDA

2. yodon

yodon Well-Known Member

Regulatory isn't really my area but maybe this gets the ball rolling a little.

Have you seen the recent draft guidance: https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=FDA-2016-D-2021-0002

In it, they do talk about an evaluation of the cumulative impact of changes since the most recently cleared 510(k).

Atul Khandekar likes this.
  3. Vintage Goose

Vintage Goose Active Member

Atul Khandekar likes this.
  4. Al Weisenborn

Al Weisenborn New Member

I believe that a Catch-up 510(k) is potentially very risky for the organization filing it. Should the 510(k) be put on hold for questions, as the majority are, you are enjoined against marketing your product in the notification letter. Now what do you do? Do you stop manufacturing, marketing and sales? ---Unlikely. Now you have placed yourself at great regulatory risk. Now, it is true that during an inspection this serious violation will probably be missed and even if discovered not forcefully dealt with.

Wouldn't be better to declare that your are marketing a new product, change the name, and rollup all the changes in a traditional 510(k)? The costs are essentially identical but compliance risk mitigated.