1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Calibration master list

Discussion in 'Gage Calibration and Uncertainty' started by mrode, Nov 4, 2015.

1. mrode

mrode New Member

I have been charged with properly cleaning up and organizing our gauges and gauge list; essentially just making sure our gauges are where we say they are. We just use an excel spreadsheet for now, but may be using software soon. Is there anything anywhere that says I need to keep the gauges on the list that have been removed from the system? Thanks for your help.

2. Somashekar

Somashekar Well-Known Member

There is nothing anywhere that says this ... It is how you want it to work

mrode likes this.
  3. mrode

mrode New Member

Thank you.

4. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

I would suggest keeping a copy of the Excel spreadsheet for traceability reasons. If there is a product recall, is there an industry need to identify the calibration status of any gauges used on the product?

mrode and Jennifer Kirley like this.
  5. equilibrium

equilibrium Member

What you describe isn't calibration in a technical sense. Keeping a record of what M&TE is present and their location is just the beginning. As was mentioned above, traceability is the real reason any of this is done. No traceability, no calibration.

While there is no requirement to keep a record of gages removed from the system, it's still a good idea. Unless you can be assured the gage is physically destroyed (and even throwing them away isn't always a guarantee) it may have to be dealt with some time in the future. I have seen where gages have been retained for spare parts or future repair. That's fine, until ten years or more have passed and no one knows that this was even done. And yes, gages that were "destroyed" have re-appeared here before, thankfully only very rarely.

As for software, I'll only say that with roughly 2000 gages, Excel isn't even a thought in my mind.

Mark Paul, Jennifer Kirley and mrode like this.
  6. mrode

mrode New Member

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.