1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

AS9100 AS9120 Commercial Upgrade Packages

Discussion in 'AS 91XX - Aerospace Quality Standards' started by WattsJA, Jul 14, 2023.

1. WattsJA

WattsJA Member

We're moving forward with upgrading our current QMS from ISO to AS, incorporating both 9100 and 9120 requirements under the same QMS for certification purposes. We're a small company, with a planned single site. We've already chosen our certification partner, and will soon be preparing for our pre-audit. As part of the preparation, I'm looking at different options available from online standard stores.

We plan on purchasing licensed copies of both requirements standards, but is there added value in purchasing a KIT from (as an example) the AS9100 store? It seems to provide forms, procedures, and training (all very generic I'm sure) that would aid in compliance and a successful audit, but is the investment worth it or necessary?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn’t go that route. Experience shows that:
    They are often inaccurate interpretations of what is actually required
    They don’t promote any real “ownership” because there’s no effort involved
    They often need editing to the point where it would have been best to start from scratch
    They frequently incorporate formats which are more “style” than “substance”
    They can create a monster which YOU have to feed
    They include documentation where none is a) required and b) necessary
    They ignore what you already have, know and works.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2023
    WattsJA likes this.
  3. WattsJA

WattsJA Member

Thanks! And I'd like to validate your reply. I walked into exactly what you described for our ISO compliant QMS. I've revised and updated over 100 forms and documents in my first six months, took ownership of each of them, removed pages of redundant or unnecessary material, and shrank our QAM by 42%. I'm really looking forward to building the procedures we don't already have in place. Once we have our first pre-audit I may pop in and give an update on how we do. Thanks again!

Andy Nichols likes this.
  4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

You are very welcome and the endorsement /validation is appreciated. I took a look at the subject supplier's materials and I do not agree with their approach. Some of these types of organizations didn't get the memo about ISO reducing the need for "maintained documented information" (aka procedures) so they add more than is actually "required" or indeed, useful. FOr example, much of section 4 (Context) should really be - and often is - on the agenda for 9.3 (Management Review) - but that's what happens when "arm chair" implementation occurs...

WattsJA likes this.
  5. WattsJA

WattsJA Member

This is why I came here in the first place, honest advice from experienced Quality people.

Andy Nichols likes this.