1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Appealing already accepted corrective action.

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by MonsterEnergy22, Jun 8, 2023.

1. MonsterEnergy22

MonsterEnergy22 Member

Good Morning everyone,

Just a quickie really.
    We recently had an audit to which an NCR was raised (The details of the NCR don't matter in this instance)
    Now, my superior accepted the NCR & declared intent on corrective action, no questions asked.

I reviewed the audit outcomes, the NCR was utterly unnecessary and was no requirement anywhere within the standard for what it was addressing. I spoke to another auditor within their organisation who agreed, that it should of been raised as an observation.

My question is, whilst it's too late (most likely) to appeal this NCR, would there be repercussions if this were just ignored for the next surverllieance audit? Or do we have to commit to the corrective action that was documented?

As a note, my superior only declared his intent (Plan) for the corrective action, without actually implementing it yet.

Thank you for any replies & have a nice day.

2. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as “accepting” a non-conformance. After the audit you have the opportunity to address them either thru corrective actions or appeals. You can’t ignore it as I don’t think your CB will continue your certification with non-addressed NCs. With that said I have found our CBs audit process to be a sad joke. Good luck.

3. RonR Quality Pro

RonR Quality Pro Active Member

I agree with Golfman - whether or not the NC is 'valid', you cannot just ignore it. That will DEFINITELY lead to a significant NC during the next audit.

If you feel that the NC is not justified, you can appeal it. In the meantime, be prepared for your appeal to be denied......until you are informed that your appeal has been approved/upheld, then you need to be prepared to file your corrective action.

If you assume that your appeal will be approved and it isn't, you will be running around at the last minute trying to put the CA together.

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Monster! This is referring to a grading, not the content of an NC. It's the validity of the content which should be appealed. The "other" auditor has given an opinion on something which wasn't a question. I'm with Ron and the Gman. If the content is dubious, push back.

tony s and MonsterEnergy22 like this.
  5. MonsterEnergy22

MonsterEnergy22 Member

Thank you all for your guidance so far. The plan at this very moment is to address the NCR unless an appeal is sent.

I'd like to appeal and I've reviewed the auditing bodies terms & conditions which states, rather ordinarily, that any replies to any findings must be received within 45 days. However it doesn't state if appeals should occur within that same 45 day window, as unfortunately, the 45 day window has since closed, it's only upon my review of the findings some time later that I've questioned & raised the validity of the findings.

I absolutely want to push back against this as there are significant costs that would occur for us should we proceed with the 'corrective action.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  6. Andy Nichols

The 45 day thing is arbitrary. If the finding’s content is bogus, the CB auditor is at fault. It shouldn’t be on you to tell them that!

7. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

My crappy CB only gave us 14 days after closing meeting to appeal. If it's really BS and you'll incur significant costs I would appeal. You'll probably loose and probably get frustrated, but the CB can't make you spend money you don't have on a made up non-conformance. If you provide details, folks on here aren't shy about telling you to appeal or not. :)

8. MonsterEnergy22

MonsterEnergy22 Member

Thanks guys, I've sourced the appeal process for my manager to initiate, I just need to keep pushing, I'll post the information regarding the finding(s).

The standard in question is: BREG PN111 Factory Production Control, a British standard that supplements LPS 1175.

https://www.redbooklive.com/filelibrary/PNs/PN111-Factory-Production-Control.pdf

PN111 is freely available, no worries about copyright etc.

The findings:

Clause 4 - 15/03/23 - Minor NCR - "Welding operators are currently checking their own work. There should be supervisor sign-off or final check on Security Rated Fencing welded products."

First of all, the auditor raises this against the wrong clause, secondly, there's absolutely no requirement for secondary supervisory approval in the standard, it's also my impression that an auditor shouldn't be making suggestions like this?

Clause 4 -15/03/23 - Minor NCR "Welder m/cs that are potentially to be used for welding Security rated Fencing Jobs are not calibrated."

This one I'm not sure on, I've searched all the 'big' quality forums for answers on this and it's mostly disagreements with no one solid consensus on whether MIG welders should be calibrated. I personally wouldn't mind too much if we had to get these calibrated, but then again it's additional cost for pricey services in the UK. But on that, there's no way for our welders to verify these welds other than visual inspection. However, point a) of clause 4 seems to read, at least in my interpretation that any equipment regardless of whether the output is measurable, should be calibrated?

There's more findings however I'll start with these 2, plus it's a first thing Monday morning and I've yet to have a cup of tea :rolleyes:

Andy Nichols likes this.
  9. Andy Nichols

Both these ncs are incorrect.
    Having read through clause 4 it's clear to me - if not the auditor - these ncs are bogus. They don't relate to the issue in clause 4 in any way.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
    MonsterEnergy22 likes this.
  10. MonsterEnergy22

MonsterEnergy22 Member

Thanks Andy, that confirmed my suspicions.

I also forgot to mention as you've probably already seen, this standard isn't ISO 9001, more of an "add on", having to hold ISO 9001 certification is a pre requisite to PN111, however the standards are more or less the same which makes zero sense in itself.

To address your quoted response, isn't that the case with all "Calibration" (Verification) of all items in house? We only verify measurable outputs of equipment to items that were calibrated to a national standard, UKAS in my case.

For example, If I were to verify a Vernier Caliper & found that it's out of tolerance, I can only remove it from service or repair, as with the MIG Welder, isn't the process similar? Verify the output, if it's out of tolerance then remove/repair? I'm not sure if that makes sense.

thanks for the reply!

Andy Nichols likes this.
  11. Andy Nichols

Good points! So, a common, misconception is the whole idea of calibration vs verification and the results achieved. Calibration is the science of knowing how far "off" you are when making a measurement. When you measure something, using a calibrated device should be factored into the results achieved (or not, depending on features such as precision/resolution/accuracy). It (should) entail a number of influences on the results of the calibration (measurement uncertainty) and is usually performed over a range of measurements that the device is capable of reading. In the case given, a caliper might be calibrated at zero, 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% of the total scale. This might also provide details of the effects of linearity too.

Verification is simply the act of taking a known (and often calibrated) standard, such as a slip gauge (jo block here in the US) and over a couple of values comparing the result on the caliper. This doesn't take into consideration any factors affecting the result. It's a simple comparison. They are not the same activity and care should be taken NOT to use the terms interchangeably. If you discovered a caliper which was reading somewhat "off", you can decide to still use it - since you can quantify the amount it's "off". I did this with my old dad's "Etalon" vernier caliper he gifted me when I finished my MoD apprenticeship. I found the jaws were worn about a 0.001" so I simply factored that into the measurements I made (usually working on my car!)

Now, when it comes to welders, we need to shift gears in thinking because the welding set is NOT a measuring device. It's no difference to many types of process equipment. Welding is accomplished - as a process - by the culmination of a number of factors including some skill in selecting the welding equipment V and A settings. It's not "finite" when dialing in current and voltage, since it's tweaked to accommodate the materials used etc. It is normal, however, to checked the outputs using a meter to detect, over time, if the transformer is functioning as intended.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
    tony s and MonsterEnergy22 like this.
  12. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Unbelievably ignorant NC (i.e. bogus as specified by @Andy Nichols .

The "cost" of sending the wrong message to your teams (not just leadership) and causing your organization to incur/manage work that may not be beneficial to your organization, is far greater than the 'cost' of appeal. Do not accept these as written.

Be well.

MonsterEnergy22 and Andy Nichols like this.
  13. Andy Nichols

I have never come across BRE Global before. I did some research. I cannot find any reference to UKAS Accreditation (or similar)...

14. Andy Nichols

I enquired as to their accreditation status. I note they dropped a previous accreditation. Accreditation would be an important part of ensuring auditor competency...

15. MonsterEnergy22

MonsterEnergy22 Member

Absolutely fantastic reply Andy, Thank you! It appears yourself & others here are an absolute fountain of knowledge!
    I'm aware that we could use a clamp meter, (I'm unaware as to if we already use this) which would sit much more comfortably with the definition of verification, rather than calibration. If all else fails, I suppose this is a much cheaper alternative we could implement.

I'll most likely keep this thread updated with the outcome of aforementioned appeal.

This interests me though, exactly how have you come to ascertain this information? I'm not privy to any sort of information which may be published publicly regarding their historical certifications. I don't plan on using that information in anyway, just curiosity!

Andy Nichols likes this.
  16. Andy Nichols

UKAS is the UK based body which accredits the types of organizations which BRE falls under. I searched for them on the UKAS website and also looked on their (BRE's) website for a UKAS logo... SIMPLES!

17. MonsterEnergy22

MonsterEnergy22 Member

18. Andy Nichols

The accreditation covering QMS certification services is ISO/IEC 17021

MonsterEnergy22 likes this.
  19. MonsterEnergy22

MonsterEnergy22 Member

Last edited: Jun 14, 2023
  20. Andy Nichols

Good to know. I was surprised to not see more being made of their accreditation status.