1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

8.2.3 Review of Requirements

Discussion in 'AS 91XX - Aerospace Quality Standards' started by Robert Sisneros, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Robert Sisneros

Robert Sisneros Member

I am new to this board and somewhat new to AS9100D and have a question that maybe i can get some guidance from someone. We do what we call contract reviews on jobs that usually are big ticket items (>$20,000) We provide a service that is high cost to our customer. So we do contract reviews before we agree to what the customer wants and is willing to pay. But sometimes we get PO's from customers for inventory items that are consumables for our equipment. We have sold these items numerous times, no problem but the item cost is around $1200. We get them enough times that is seems unnecessary to do a review of the PO if it is the same thing. How do you do this without creating some paper pushing exercise for people? Any insight is appreciated.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Robert, welcome. To be honest, the term "contract review" is old hat and somewhat out of step with commerce today. For many organizations, it's the quoting or proposal phase during which customer requirements are being determined, including pricing, lead times and feasibility. In all reality, doing any kind of in-depth review by the time a PO arrives is waaaaay too late to find issues. The review should be for simple changes since quoting. Does that help?

3. Robert Sisneros

Robert Sisneros Member

OK i understand what you are saying and i agree. But we get PO for items without actually quoting the customer, there is just a price list and they order that quantity/price number when they need it. the first time they ask for these items we will give them quotes but then after that they just order as needed because it is the same items/cost per item. So how to show we review that PO before we fulfill it without doing this in depth look into something as simple as fulfilling this PO? Would a formal order acknowledgement response be a review?

4. Andy Nichols

If that person has actually looked at the PO and the organization can meet the requirements, yes. That's perfectly acceptable.

Robert Sisneros likes this.
  5. Abed Salameh

Abed Salameh Member

Hi, I suppose you can specify the scope of contract review in your sales order procedure for example that orders>£ xxxx amount are subject to contract review, repeating orders/ customer are sent order acknowledgement and do not require formal review, or customer bespoke products ( high value determined) will be subject to contract review as per contract review check list which you can create in Excel for these types of PO. This way you can not get caught out by the CB auditor, you are covered because the review will not be for every single order that comes in as this would be a nightmare and time consuming for the Sales admin personnel. Hope this makes sense. I have actually experienced the same issue when I have to write Contract & Sales Review Procedure for Sales area.
    Regards,
    Abed

6. Andy Nichols

I'm concerned about this statement. We should not be creating a QMS which has this in mind.

What else are they doing? ISO 9001 and AS9100D do NOT give you this latitude. No organizations should be processing customer requirements without such a review. If there are insufficient resources then management should fix THAT issue, not bypassing one of the most important activities in the business...

7. Abed Salameh

Abed Salameh Member

Thanks Andy, I very much appreciate your comments and agree that management should have sufficient resources to review sales contracts. If sales admin is raising hundreds of sales orders a month, it would not be effective to go over every single PO that comes in as for repeating customers just request the same products/ price list/ quantity etc.
    Where does it state in the ISO9001:2015 or AS9001D that every single po need to be reviewed? It is up to the organisation to determine the criticality of products requirements, and review them appropriately.
    Would acknowledgment of the po for standard products/ of the shelf be sufficient review? although this may not e acceptable to the CB auditor.

8. Andy Nichols

Then find another auditor. I cannot over-emphasize, this is not a popularity game. The organization have to demonstrate that their processes are effective and compliant, no "please" an auditor.

It doesn't, and neither does it say that ALL equipment must be calibrated, etc. I'm not sure what you are describing as
    but of course, someone has to review them. We'd have to know a lot more than what you describe, however. Are the sales people THAT effective? Or are these mostly zero value sales orders (as I found in one company, which indicated that something was wrong).

If the volume comes from simple orders for "off the shelf" items, why wouldn't a simple check be performed for quantity and delivery date before a commitment (acknowledgement) is made?