1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

8.2.1 e . Customer communication

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by jaltangerel, May 7, 2018.

1. jaltangerel

jaltangerel Member

Hi everybody!
    What does it mean "e) establishing specific requirements for contingency actions, when relevant." ?
    Please tell me some examples.

2. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

How your organization communicates with customers in case of an emergency within the organization.

For example, recently the site where I sit within my organization was part of a power outage - our entire block was without power. We are a health care company and clients (and our nurses) are constantly calling in for schedule information. With no power, there would be no phone capability. Our customers cannot be unable to reach us - it is part of our contract. Our contingency plan is that in case of a power failure, our phone lines automatically re-route to another site - and the local leadership emails the leadership at that new site to give them an update about what is happening.

So, where appropriate, establishing contingency plans - including communicating with customers - about your ability to fulfill their needs (or the time that it will take to get your organization back up and running). This is essentially risk management for operations.

Neo113016, jaltangerel and yodon like this.
  3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

^^^ What Roxane said ^^^

4. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @jaltangerel ;
    While I agree that @RoxaneB is not wrong, I would propose a different (expanded?) take on this based on the strategic structure of the ISO 9001:2015 standard. Note that this sub-sub-clause is within clause 8-Operation and specifically within "Requirements for products and services" (which is not specifically discussing infrastructure, etc...). More importantly, it is not listed within clause 6-Planning.

I realize we are not discussing the expanded automotive version of 9001:2015 (IATF 16949) but is interesting to note that in 16949, contingency planning is identified in clause 6-planning, and is indeed specific to the type of examples that Roxane gave.

It is not always common, for example, to communicate to the customer contingencies when there is a power outage, unless the contingency requires use of prior unapproved methods.

For 8.2, product and services, commonly addressed "establishing specific requirements for contingency actions, when relevant", which are typically part of "Communication with the customer" (and often best prearranged) are situations such as ...
    * Alternate packaging if there is not sufficient consumable packaging.
    * Alternate ship method of expedite is required or typical ship method is not available.
    * Alternate ship routes (border crossing points is a typical example).
    * Alternate order process method if customer and/or supplier ASN/digital system fails.
    * Etc...

The keys here are,
    1- Where in the standard this statement is listed.
    2- The statement "Communication with the customer"

Hope this helps.

tony s and jaltangerel like this.
  5. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

An interesting, and applicable, perspective, John! :)

So, to build upon what you said by way of an example, if the Customer needs a product by June 15 and has agreed that it be delivered via Carrier A, should Carrier A be unavailable or production delayed so that the agreed upon shipment method would mean a late arrival to the customer, the organization would:

1. Communicate the situation to the Customer; and,
    2. Provide a contingency plan such as expediting the delivery via courier or a faster carrier at no additional cost to the customer.

jaltangerel, tony s and John C. Abnet like this.
  6. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @RoxaneB ;
    Yes, that is a great example of what my experience has been and how I directed/counciled my teams (previously) and now my clients.

Be well.

7. jaltangerel

jaltangerel Member

Dear RoxaneB thank you for necessary advice. :)

8. jaltangerel

jaltangerel Member

Dear John C. Abnet thank you for necessary advice. Wish goodness :)

John C. Abnet likes this.
  9. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

If 8.2.1e is under 8.2 - Requirements for products and services, then this can be tied to the statement in 8.7.1c where it specifies "informing the customer" when nonconforming products/services are detected. For example: The flight schedule of an ISO 9001 certified airline is going to be delayed. Because of this, the airline will need to communicate to their passengers and announce on their PA system something like this "We regret to inform you that your flight will be delayed due to the late arrival of your turn around aircraft".

jaltangerel likes this.