1. Hello and Welcome to The Quality Forum Online...Continuing in the spirit of People Helping People !
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/verification records

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Josepi, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Josepi

Josepi Member

Under 7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/verification records it states that:
    "The organization shall have a documented process for managing calibration/verification records. Records of the calibration/verification activity for all gauges, measuring, and test equipment (including employee-owned equipment relevant for measuring, customer-owned equipment, or on-site supplier owned equipment) needed to provide evidence of conformity to internal requirements, legislative and regulatory requirements, and customer-defined requirements shall be retained."

Setting: We are a foundry and make iron castings. We build patterns to make impressions in the sand which forms the molds used to make the castings.

It has been argued internally (much debate) that employee owned calipers and tape measures used to build the patterns, are never used to check the final dimensions of those patterns. They only use their own tools (i.e. non calibrated mini rulers) as reference or to get them close. They then check out calibrated tools to verify that the patterns are to specification on the drawings. Final dimensions are always verified by layout with a coordinate measuring machine (CMM).

So, should the employees their own rulers and calipers in for calibration? Even if they argue that they use calibrated equipment for final measurement and verification? Even if they argue that they are not measuring final product? (Though they are measuring a pattern used to make final product).

I think I know the answer... but any input is greatly appreciated.

2. BradM

BradM Moderator Staff Member

Well... to me, trying to "control" employee owned equipment is a futile effort. :)

I would clearly mark and control the "calibrated" instruments. All "calibrated" readings come from these. Then, all other instruments are for reference only, and don't matter.