1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

World Class QMS Capabilities and traits

Discussion in 'AS 91XX - Aerospace Quality Standards' started by ISO9001TD, Jun 21, 2022.

1. ISO9001TD

ISO9001TD Member

What do world class QMS departments have in common?

What are their traits and capabilities?

If I wanted to transform our small team QMS into a world class QMS, what general steps should we take towards that objective?

Anyone know of any companies or examples of small teams that are running a world class QMS?

If so, what force multipliers do they use to maximize their staff and QMS capabilities?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Is there such a thing? Does the rest of the organization have similar aspirations? The resources to achieve? What's the point in a Quality department being "World Class" (whatever that means), when everyone else is "Just make it like the print for once"...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  3. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

I am wary of calling anything world class because it too often turns out the organization wasn't what was once thought. I am reminded of the legendary Jack Welch.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  4. ISO9001TD

ISO9001TD Member

The jack Welch teachings I have followed but have turned out to be not advisable some would say?

5. Andy Nichols

Darned right... (unless those followers are JackWelchasaurous dinosaurs)

6. ISO9001TD

ISO9001TD Member

Why is that?

7. Andy Nichols

8. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

I never liked his continual ranking of employees and whacking off the "bottom 10%" but I didn't have the full picture until I heard that podcast.

Map1158 and Andy Nichols like this.
  9. andic

andic Member

My honest answers to a question honestly asked

In my experience it helps to have:
    1. A tough and experienced quality manager (however titled)
    The team has got to know they are doing the right thing based on the leader's knowledge and experience and that they will back their team up. There is nothing worse than having a bust up with production or sales and then getting sold out by your boss.
    2. Manageable quality system and quality goals
    You have to bring the whole organisation with you so don't create unnecessary hurdles, everyone wants to get the product out we are all on the same team. Obstacles will be by passed, "stupid rules" that only have to be obeyed on a Monday at the start of the month just undermine what you are trying to do. aim for a coherent system that achieves the required standard and then improve it.
    3. Explain why you are doing what you are doing
    when people understand why a process is setup as it is they are more likely to follow it or even feel ownership
    4. get out on the shop floor and talk to people ask about their cat/car/grandkid, write things down, read things that are lying about, check dates, weights, count things and compare what is there to what is written down. use this to understand the signs of trouble in your process and set meaningful kpis or inspection stages