1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

The training of TS16949 internal auditors - What are the requirements?

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Carol Robinson, Dec 2, 2015.

1. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

The trainer are very careful not to be specific. The trainer let us carry on a conversation and not making any more comment.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

What's the use of that, you might ask! Surely, if the instructor cannot participate in the discussion, what the point of paying them to be there?

3. MCW8888

I agree with you. the trainers are trying hard not to consult. They like to give examples of widgets which is not our line of business.

4. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

So, to repeat Andy's question, "What's the use of that...what's the point of paying them to be there?" If the trainers cannot train effectively, if they cannot transfer the necessary knowledge, it's a waste of time and money, and the only things gained will be an increased number of questions (e.g., "How does this relate to us?!?!") and an increased sense of frustration (e.g., "Why am I here if the trainer is not speaking the language of our business?") and a potential decrease in faith in leadership.

I hesitate to ask, but was the training organization selected in a process where $$$ was the heaviest weighted item in the decision-making? If yes, this is where the hidden costs may far exceed the actual price tag of the training organization. If your organization needs to spend more time trying to figure out how to apply the training within its culture and/or needs to re-energize/re-focus a group with low morale coming out of ineffective training, the cost to do that can be more than mere dollars and cents.

Atul Khandekar and Andy Nichols like this.
  5. MCW8888

We normally have a follow-up training after the certificate is issued. I agree with everything you said here. I usually follow-up the training by having everyone conduct Internal audits using the knowledge they acquire from the trainer.

6. RoxaneB

RoxaneB Moderator Staff Member

You still haven't answered the question, but sometimes the lack of an answer is an answer itself. ;-)

If you need to do follow-up training than the training was not effective and I would never deal with that training organization again.

Having folks do an audit after training is a way of seeing what has stuck and highlights any potential problem areas to work on. In terms of audits, this could be proper planning or how they ask questions or detailed notes. If, however, your organization needs to re-train on more than a couple of items, then the original training was ineffective and inefficient, and the training material/methodology/provider should be re-investigated.

7. MCW8888

Thank you Roxanne. Are you an independent consultant that provide customized training to clients? I am still looking for a re-training program for my organization here in the US.

8. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

That's why CBs should stick to their job of auditing an organization on site and NOT training an organization on site.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  9. MCW8888

I agree. For instance the training group may be affiliated to the bigger organization like SGS (an example). SGS also have contract testing labs and ISO certifying bodies. That's not a conflict because each is independent of the other.

10. Andy Nichols

That's a good example, where there's often no sharing of resources. However, often a CB will use the same auditors to teach, because they believe if they are a good auditor they can also teach! That's where the wheels come off the whole proposition. I've seen too many CB auditors who also ended up teaching an auditor course and all they know is the CB way. Not a good outcome...

11. MCW8888

I agree. I know of a CB auditor who is subcontracted to train Internal Auditors. I have raised my concern and did not get anywhere. I was informed that there is no conflict of interest.

12. Andy Nichols

Well it's true to say there's no "conflict", of course. But, at least in my mind, that's not the real issue. The issue is how effective is using an external auditor to teach if they aren't really a good instructor AND do they know anything more (about doing audits) than just being a CB auditor?

13. MCW8888

That's a good question. They appear to have good credentials. I know of one person who ask hos trainer for a checklist and he paid quite a sum for it. I told this individual next time he can ask me for the same checklist and I will charge him ZERO dollars.

Howard Atkins likes this.
  14. Heavena

Heavena New Member

Very great advice. I am a newbie and I am looking forward to the excellent advice and knowledge of the group. Good Morning All;)

15. Phillip D'Acquisto

Phillip D'Acquisto New Member

For the new ISO 9001:2015 and IATF 16949 I don't see anywhere that an internal auditor should be certified. Obviously the need to have sufficient competency in auditing but does an auditor need to be certified?

16. Andy Nichols

What do you mean by "certified", Phillip? Many course providers issue a certificate which simply means the person was present at a course. If you mean being a card-carrying IRCA or Exemplar Global "Certified" auditor, then this isn't required. An internal audit, as you state, needs to be competent.

Of course, the question then becomes what are the competency requirements an organization should define?

17. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

As Andy asked, certified in what? The definition of competency is, in general terms, the absence of mistakes. An auditor can get the ASQ Certified Quality Auditor certificate, and still be incompetent because it does not do much to prepare for on-the-job first party auditing. IRCA or Exemplar certification is generally obtained by 3rd party auditors and consultants.

I do recommend their passing an accredited Lead Auditor class. They tend to have exercises, at least, where they practice finding and writing nonconformances in various scenarios.

18. Golfman25

Golfman25 Well-Known Member

Our registrar issued guidance on this. Basically their thought was their auditors are spending at least 12 hours in class room training on the new standard. They strongly suggested anything less would be suspect. Frankly, the way is seems to be going, the bigger certificate you can put on your wall the more success you'll have convincing the auditor you're "competent."

19. Andy Nichols

Registrars aren't supposed to offer "guidance". Their world is external audits, not internal audits. 12 hours isn't a measure of anything. 36 hours isn't enough for some. 4 hours could be enough for many. How long does it take to read and a standard? Based on what I have seen some Registrars do, they should take their own advice and double it!

20. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

In what form did they issue this guidance? It is troubling. Registrars are not supposed to give specifics like that, whether they call it guidance or anything else.

Competency does not have anything to do with number of hours in a class. I recommended accredited training because there is so much variation in, and customer dissatisfaction from non-accredited classes.

Andy Nichols likes this.