1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

The training of TS16949 internal auditors - What are the requirements?

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by Carol Robinson, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Mukesh Sharma

Mukesh Sharma Member

Thanks to all for giving their views. Now am looking for when the Plexus starts their workshop for Lead Auditor.

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Do you need (lead) auditor training? Did you determine this was something you need competency in? From your previous posts you explained your implementation isn't working. Being a (newly trained) lead auditor isn't going to explain why. You may be wasting your time and money and not be any more capable of fixing your implementation issues. Of course, if you want to enhance your career, that's (a little bit) different...

3. MCW8888

MCW8888 Well-Known Member

Last year one of our facility was dinged because the auditor was not trained to audit to the TS16949 standard. This auditor IS a CQE auditor which is one of our employee. We reasoned out that she has shadowed me during the TS Internal Audit but we still got a nonconformance. So they hired one of the CB trainer to conduct the training on-site. That's how the problem was fixed.

Marc Smith likes this.
  4. Keith Childers

Keith Childers New Member

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe your CB cannot do training on-site, because that is considered consulting.

5. MCW8888

Not necessarily. Most CB's have a training arm - which is different from the certifying body. According to them, theyopen their training to public and the training is focus on the standard not customized.

6. Andy Nichols

Plus, you tend to get an incorrect "story" of auditing for internal auditors! The training is given from the perspective of a CB's processes which are almost entirely inapplicable to the internal auditor's needs. Starting from planning the audit etc, using an external audit model for internal auditing is what, for the most part, causes so many problems...

7. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

The second statement doesn't contradict the first statement.

Anyway, ISO 17021 defines management system consultancy as "participation in designing, implementing or maintaining a management system" and under a Note clarifies that "Arranging training and participating as a trainer is not considered consultancy, provided that, where the course relates to management systems or auditing, it is confined to the provision of generic information that is freely available in the public domain; i.e. the trainer should not provide company-specific solutions".

The following statements in ISO 17021 is prohibitive to CBs who extend consultancy services:
    • Auditing the management systems of a client to whom the certification body provided management systems consultancy would be a self-review threat.
    • The certification body and any part of the same legal entity shall not offer or provide management system consultancy.
    • The certification body shall not certify a management system on which a client has received management system consultancy or internal audits, where the relationship between the consultancy organization and the certification body poses an unacceptable threat to the impartiality of the certification body.
    • The certification body shall not outsource audits to a management system consultancy organization, as this poses an unacceptable threat to the impartiality of the certification body.
    • The certification body's activities shall not be marketed or offered as linked with the activities of an organization that provides management system consultancy.
    • A certification body shall not state or imply that certification would be simpler, easier, faster or less expensive if a specified consultancy organization were used.
    • To ensure that there is no conflict of interests, personnel who have provided management system consultancy, including those acting in a managerial capacity, shall not be used by the certification body to take part in an audit or other certification activities if they have been involved in management system consultancy towards the client in question within two years following the end of the consultancy.
    ISO 17021 is the standard specifying the requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of management systems.

Marc Smith, Andy Nichols and MCW8888 like this.
  8. Andy Nichols

Thanks for that Tony. My 25+ year's experience of developing and delivering such auditor training tells me that, unless the CB has a fully resourced training staff with knowledge of adult oriented training methods (Socratic etc), then their delivery of "auditing" will be biased towards the CB processes and the training is commonly delivered by a Lead Auditor. In fact a "Lead Auditor" is really an external auditor qualification and has only few relevancies to the needs of an internal audit program.

MCW8888 likes this.
  9. QMS auditor

QMS auditor Member

thanks for your reply!

10. MCW8888

11. Englishman Abroad

Englishman Abroad Member

Apparently (according to the SGS ISO TS 16949 v2016 webinar) the internal auditor qualification requirements will be tightened up, to be more prescriptive like the Ford & GM internal auditor qualifications in their CSRs. However we will have to wait until the new version is officially publihsed in December to find out exactly.

12. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

I'm crossing my fingers that ISO/TS should leave the "prescriptive" requirements to OEMs' "customer-specific requirements".

13. MCW8888

Not really. CB's have training department that is independent of auditing. I do not see any conflict there.

14. Andy Nichols

Not a conflict, but the training is heavily biased towards what THEY think should happen. Trouble is, CBs don't know what good internal audits are!

15. MCW8888

I agree with that.

16. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

CBs who offered training on-site run the risk of going against the statements below:

17. MCW8888

I have raised this concern but since the CB trainer is not the CB certifier, that seems to be OK.

18. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering if it's OK with their accreditation body. If the ISO 17021 is a standard that CBs must demonstrate conformance, isn't it they are violating the requirements that prohibit them to offer consulting services (i.e. CB trainer that provides company-specific solutions)?

19. MCW8888

The training is very generic. CB trainers do not offer customized consultation during class. I learned more from this website than in the classroom training. But we need a certificate to provide objective evidence so there it is.

20. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

If a CB trainer do an on-site training, he/she will be exposed to questions specific to the operation of the trainees. Limiting the answers on a generic tone defeats the purpose of a company on having a training done on their site. My assumption is the printed training materials are generic but verbal discussion are, more or less, specific.