1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Supplier auditing

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by russell nugent, Mar 23, 2023.

1. russell nugent

russell nugent Active Member

Recently we have had an issue with one of our suppliers . As a coincidence we are due to carry out our QMS audit at there site . I have made a request to carry out VDA 6.5 product audit , this was rejected . Could anyone advise what rights I have to carry out a product / line audit . The company are IATF certified and I thought the CSR transfer to suppliers might account for this request to be granted .

2. qmr1976

qmr1976 Well-Known Member

They are probably rejecting it because the VDA standard is holding them to a standard they are not currently certified to. We ran across this same issue with one of our customers. We obliged, but made them aware that if any corrective actions come out of the audit that are above and beyond what we are currently certified to, they won't be responded to. We don't ship any parts to Europe so we felt the VDA standard didn't apply to us but since it was part of their requirements to monitor their suppliers and use the VDA standard, we accepted the audit with limitations, of course.

tony s and John C. Abnet like this.
  3. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @russell nugent ;
    Has your organization asked themselves 'what' is the purpose/intent of the audit/visit to the supplier? The reason I ask is multi-fold...
    1- I assume the product your organization is concerned about (wishing to audit) is arriving at your door. If so, then is it safe to say your organization is already familiar with the state of the 'product' ?
    2- Is it not more likely that the 'process(es)' at your supplier are the cause of the state of the product you are receiving?
    3- Is this a partnership? (i.e. is the purpose of the visit to work WITH the supplier and help them/your organization collectively identify the cause and potential corrections?
    4- What is the motive for imposing CSR requirements onto your supplier? (i.e. what is hoped to be gained?)
    5- What is the purpose of imposing any VDA requirements/methods onto your supplier? (i.e. what is hoped to be gained?)

Considering this is an IATF post, I will assume your supplier has provided your organization with a PFMEA and Control Plan. Using the control plan (a document agreed upon by BOTH parties and a contract specific to HOW your supplier commits to manufacture and to control the manufacturing process), may I suggest using the control plan as road map and simply follow it through the process to see...
    1- If the supplier is indeed manufacturing according to the control plan.
    2- if the problem your organization is experiencing is...
    a) identified as a risk on the PFMEA
    b) if the risk identified on the PFMEA has controls identified on the control plan and if those controls are effective.

My thoughts...hope this helps.

Be well.

qmr1976 and Andy Nichols like this.
  4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

It's an easy answer, Russell. Unless you have a contractual agreement which requires them to a) allow you to visit for the purposes of auditing their operations and assurance of product quality and b) specifically mentions VDA, then to be brutally honest, they can tell you to "pack sand"... And we haven't even discussed the "spend" you have with them!

tony s, RonR Quality Pro and qmr1976 like this.
  5. russell nugent

russell nugent Active Member

Thanks for the replys , very helpful . Ill try my luck again with the points about action plan and also the partnership aspect to improve on issues together . Might get told no but I will try.

tony s and qmr1976 like this.
  6. qmr1976

qmr1976 Well-Known Member

Best of luck and keep us posted on how they respond, when you can!

7. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Be vewy, vewy careful... [​IMG]

qmr1976 likes this.