1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Sample size determination and effect size

Discussion in 'DOE - Design of Experiments' started by mmmarta, Apr 12, 2023.

Tags:
  1. mmmarta

mmmarta Member

Hi all,

I have to run a doe and I need to estimate the number of repetitions.
    How do you handle this estimation when you do not know the variance of the process and the effect size?

Could be ok to run a hypothetical number of reps (e.g 3) and after collecting data assess the power of the test? Eventually adding more reps if necessary.

Another doubt I have is: how can I assess for the effect size given that I have a multilevel multifactorial doe? The effect size is the difference between the means. Which one to select among all the level I have?
    Do you have any suggestion?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Bye

2. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

DOEs are a very complex topic that is difficult to cover in a post, but I will try to cover the basics.
    • Starting with your use of the word repetitions, DOE distinguishes between repeats and replicates.
      • Repeats are multiple measurements taken during a single experimental run and only include short-term variation. They provide minimal value to the DOE.
      • Replicates are different from repeats by performing a specific experimental run multiple times. This includes setup variation and provides additional degrees of freedom to the experiment. Replicates add value to the DOE, but also add cost by increasing the size of the experiment.
    • Regarding the process variance, do you have any historical data of any type? This could be from a capability study or even production records. It does not need to be precise; a ballpark estimate is sufficient. You can also run the calculation for various estimates to see how sensitive the number is to the variation.
    • Regarding the effect size, you should already know how much the process swings high to low. Pick an effect size larger than this that is large enough to justify the expense of running this experiment. Don't worry about the multiple factors. ANOVA looks for the largest effect.

Bev D likes this.
  3. mmmarta

mmmarta Member

Hi Miner, thank you for your reply!

• I apologize, I meant replicates.
    • Regarding the variance. Unfortunately, we do not dispose of any previous data.
    • Ok, thank you. I will pick up the largest effect, but now, as for the variance, I have no clue of its entity.
    Do you think that the approach of running a hypothetical number of replicates and, only after collecting, data assess the power of the test could be a possible solution?

Thank you again!
    Bye

4. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

I do not recommend that. It would be simpler to monitor your process for a day, collecting the data needed to calculate the variance.

mmmarta likes this.
  5. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

Miner is correct. Assessing power after the effect is a mathematical exercise that has no meaning.

mmmarta likes this.
  6. mmmarta

mmmarta Member

Got it, thank you very much!
    Bye