1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Questions regarding conformance to work instructions and specifications ISO9001/IATF16949

Discussion in 'IATF 16949:2016 - Automotive Quality Systems' started by SoYouThink, Feb 9, 2023.

1. SoYouThink

SoYouThink Member

Hi guys,

Lets say for example I have a specification which states the reject criteria in the event it exceed certain quantity. The specification states that if the quantity exceed 5 units, the lot will be rejected.

This information is been passed down to our contract manufacturer. They then translated this and port over the specification into their own internal specs and work instructions for operator/technician reference.

Instead of reject if it exceed 5 units or more, they internally tighten the criteria to reject if exceed 3 units or more.

Based on the above, does it still comply with the ISO9001 / IATF16949 requirements? And if it's not, which clause in ISO / IATF does this point to?

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Since IATF 16949 and ISO 9001 doesn't mention anything about limits on acceptance, there's no "compliance" issue. Practically speaking, if a supplier chooses to have a tighter specification than that which is flowed down, that's on them, however, from a customer's perspective, I'd want to know why...

RonR Quality Pro likes this.
  3. RonR Quality Pro

RonR Quality Pro Active Member

There is no noncompliance. If a supplier chooses to reduce a tolerance that (in theory) will result in you the customer being less likely to receive a nonconforming part/lot. As long as they are able to actually MEET this new criteria, it isn't something that you need to worry about.

4. SoYouThink

SoYouThink Member

Thanks for the feedback. The reason why the contract manufacturer chooses a tighter spec / limit is because there's some returns in the past.

Just wondering why isn't this non-compliance? The instructions given to the contract manufacturer say reject if > 5 units but the actual practice at the manufacturing site is reject if > 3 units. On paper/document it looks like the contract manufacturer is not following the instructions given.

5. SoYouThink

SoYouThink Member

Thanks for the feedback. Of course by reducing the tolerance, more outliers / nonconforming part/lots can be screened out. My concern is more to the compliance portion whereby the contract manufacturer is not following the instructions given. Also, assuming if there's more than one contract manufacturer, one stick to the criteria of reject if > 5 units and the other have a tighter control e.g. reject if > 3 units, it seems that there's no consistency.

Correct me I'm wrong but I remember long time ago during TS16949 time, I heard something like whatever you put in the spec must be practiced in the production line.

6. Andy Nichols

I guess it depends on the contractual arrangement you have with the supplier.

7. Andy Nichols

No-one should take up a position based on what they heard. Use requirements, not hearsay! Lots of people "believe" things about IATF 16949, ISO 9001 etc. It's the human condition. People still believe the world is flat etc. Go back to basics, what does the standard actually say?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  8. SoYouThink

SoYouThink Member

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate

9. SoYouThink

SoYouThink Member

There's no such agreement. Tightening the limit is good. My only concern is on the compliance portion. Assuming if I have more than one contract manufacturer and each of them have different requirements e.g. triggering limits. In the event if there's an audit by the same auditor on different manufacturing sites and this is observed, I'm sure the auditor will question why the difference and goes back to ISO / TS standards

10. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

There is no requirement in any of the standards that would see this as a non-compliance. Period. As Andy has recommended you should read the standard yourself and become familiar with its requirements. Other wise you will be fooled by any incompetent auditor, manager or engineer that comes around.

Also I think it’s important to be clear on what is actually happening - I interpret what you are saying is that the accept/reject number of your inspection plan is to accept on 5 reject on 6 nonconforming parts. The supplier is using an accept on 3, reject on 4 nonconforming parts with the same sample size as you. Is this correct? If not please explain…

Andy Nichols likes this.
  11. Andy Nichols

My advice is, stop trying to manage your QMS based on “what if” and pleasing auditors. Your priorities should focus your attention on customers and your organization.

12. RonR Quality Pro

RonR Quality Pro Active Member

Although you are correct in the strictest interpretation of the rules, in this specific case, the requirement for rejection (>5 units detected) is a MINIMUM requirement. The contractor must perform the minimum requirement which you have imposed but if they choose to go beyond that it is THEIR choice to assume the added risk. As for the inconsistency, that is easily dispositioned - your requirements to your supplier are a MINIMUM requirement, and one supplier has chosen to exceed your requirement, the other has not (at least not as of yet).

Mikey and Andy Nichols like this.
  13. SoYouThink

SoYouThink Member

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, the supplier is using an accept on 3 and reject on 4 on nonconforming parts with the same sample size.

14. SoYouThink

SoYouThink Member

Got it. Thanks for the inputs. Appreciate

15. SoYouThink

SoYouThink Member

Thanks Andy