1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Question help

Discussion in 'Documentation Control, Procedures, Templates,...' started by Trucks79, Feb 21, 2022.

1. Trucks79

Trucks79 New Member

Hi can someone help please,
    the company i work for has recently asked me to oversee the ISO standards 9001, 14001 and 45001 and all the procedures had my previous managers name on them who has left the company

for example at the start of each one they have 4 boxes

Prepared by: his name dated May 2019
    Reviewed by: his line managers name dated May 2019
    Approved By: the company owners name dated May 2019
    Process Owner: his name dated May 2019

My question is if i update the policy to say the process owner is now MY NAME and date it Feb 2022 is that the correct way to do it?

And do i then update the version number at the bottom to reflect the update of the document?

We have an audit coming up in May 2022 so i wanted to make sure all the paperwork was correct..

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

2. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Hello Trucks79. Welcome to the QFO.

I saw this question elsewhere and would suggest that this is a (legacy) system of document control you should do your best to get out from under, as soon as possible.

Controlled documents do not need all these approvals in them. As I had mentioned, something like a Document Control Notice can help remove this bureaucracy from your documents and make them far more user friendly. I attach such a form which I have used for years - it doesn't create "extra work" as has been claimed and is modelled after a very commonly found document control/approvals process. I recently obtained a copy of a procedure with its full history attached, back to nineteen hundred and frozen to death. It was 6 pages long! No-one needs that.

I'd suggest updating your document control procedure, to allow the use of the attached form and issue one of the first DDCRs as a deviation - to the named personnel, informing the user (for what it's worth, they probably don't really care). If you do it by email you can explain the document control procedure change using the form (to reduce the bureaucracy).

That way, you won't have to get them all done by May, because you'll allow this "deviation" for 6-9 months or however long it takes. Everyone will love you for doing this.

Attached File(s): 1. Scan for viruses before using. 2. Report any 'bad' files by reporting this post. 3. Use at your own Risk.:

• DCR.doc
      File size:
      45.5 KB
      Views:
  3. S Russell

S Russell Member

Hello Trucks79. Thank you for asking your question! I, too, will be finding myself in such a situation when my manager retires before long.

I am still very confused by all of this paperwork. I have never worked at an ISO company, so I spend a fair bit of time reading on this forum.

Andy, we have something similar here, so I'm trying to understand what this DCR would eliminate, or is it more to buy some time because of the upcoming audit?

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

It does a number of things. All it does is emulate a well-known and commonly practiced process (without the complexity) of the product design change request. Too many people don't experience this process, because they only make other company's designs, so I understand why it's not so common across all ISO compliant orgs.

The DCR becomes the vehicle for much of what has been buried in individual documents and ends up cluttering them up. I saw a "level 2" procedure recently where at least 2 pages was the change history! Really? Someone thinks that's important? It needs eliminating. Also, pity the poor person who receives a change but has no clue were it is or why it was made. The DCR helps with that along with a lot of other aspects of document change controls.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022