1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Process mapping software - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Documentation Control, Procedures, Templates,...' started by Colin Pitman, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Colin Pitman

Colin Pitman Member

I'm looking for software that maps our company's manufacturing/QMS processes. It should meet as many of the following requirements as possible:

• Can draw classic flow-type diagrams to show process inputs/outputs, and how they are linked to other processes.
    • Can be levelled/layered: used to drill down into individual proceses, e.g. by clicking on a process box called "Ship parts to customer", it either expands or opens a new page/tab/window to show an expanded process chart that shows the processes are involved in shipping parts.
    • Can use/embed hyperlinks either to a server location or internet address (for use with server-based DMS and potentially a future wiki-based DMS.
    I have played with MS Visio and yEd, but can't seem to use them to drill down/expand into lots of layers/levels.

Any other ideas suggestions?

2. pkfraser

pkfraser Active Member

Colin

Why do you want to show process inputs and outputs - is it not better to show (and link to) the documents etc required for / generated by each stage in a process? I find that the "traditional" view of a process implies that all the inputs go in at the start, and all the outputs come out at the end, which most times ain't the case.
    I agree that any task should allow for sub-process(es) to be linked from it. I suggest that you may need something that will generate the flowchart for you from the basic information that you input, rather than trying to draw a graphic as you go. That lets you forget about the "picture" until you are ready. Our software does that but in a deployment flowchart format using RACI - not the "usual" format... Give me a shout if you want more info.

3. Colin Pitman

Colin Pitman Member

Because I want to build up a map of the business. E.g. at top-level it would show something like "Sales Order Received -> Material Ordered ->Product Made -> Product QC -> Despatch" Of course each of these items have a set of complex inputs and outputs themselves which I would like to examine in more detail by clicking on the item of interest. Say I clicked on "Product QC", it may open a new window showing the following: "Product received in QC -> Product scheduled to QC technician -> QC technician inspects according to product's quality plan -> QC tech updates product status -> Pass to Despatch" and so on. This is just an example and of course will be more complex.

Yes, this is one of the requirements - can either open the document itself, or just link to it on a server/the internet.

For example? All of our documented processes so far have reasonable inputs and outputs (at least main ones). I'm not really looking to document everything to the nth degree, I just want a logical and visual way of organising what we already have into 2 to 4 levels.

Thanks, a deployment flowchart is exactly what I want - I just didn't know it was called that. I'll message you.