1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Pointers on selecting a registrar?

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by claudiogut, Mar 7, 2023.

1. claudiogut

claudiogut Member

Hi everyone. A company I work for is interested in becoming ISO:9001 certified. One of the first things I’m doing is researching local Houston registrars (to save on travel expenses).

I can only glean so much from Google, so I was wondering if anyone can help.

Can anyone here suggest or recommend a particular registrar and reasons why they’re your go-to registrar?

Also, any insights, rumors, or experience with registrars would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Go
    Good day @claudiogut ;
    Because of my role I avoid promoting any specific registrar. However, I'm hoping your organization peers on this site will weigh in. What I can recommend is...

1- Reach out to certified organizations in your area (most are flying a flag, so should be easy to spot ;) and see what their experiences have been...who they may recommend.

2- Reach out to two or three registrars directly. Tell them what you are looking for, ask for pricing, availability (I would provide them with a ROUGH estimate of when you plan to being the process). Their response time, demeanor, customer service, etc....may give you some insight into what/whom you'll be dealing with.

Remember:
    Most pricing is "same" (i.e. you'll likely fine negligible variance in quotes). The certification bodies often contract the actual audit work. Therefore (sadly), the auditors themselves may not be representative of the registrar...and may vary significantly from auditor to auditor. So, in a way, selecting the registrar is a bit of the proverbial "crap shoot".

Good luck

Hope this helps.
    Be well.

claudiogut and Andy Nichols like this.
  3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Firstly, let me say, this is purchasing from entirely the wrong point of view. I can sell you a certificate if cost is the issue!
    Your certification audits are going to be costed on two fundamentals: the cost of the audit and the expenses.

Expenses means travel and accommodation and fees related to the service, this can vary hugely between Registrars. The travel has little/nothing to do with the HQ location - for example LRQA is/was in TX, but they may have no auditors who are qualified in the area and hence may have to fly someone in - sometimes from another country! Fees relate to anything from an extra copy of a certificate, to accreditation fees and reviewing corrective actions. Beware the “small print”.

The cost of audits is a simple calculation: number of audit days x audit day rate. For ISO 9001, figure $1300 - 1500 per day and the quantity of days comes from the (freely available, at IAF.nu) IAF document “MD-5” with some negotiation (described in the document) about scopes etc.

My advice, based on being inside 2 world-class Registrars as management? Look into how you select long term suppliers - cost? Location? Recommendation? What?

Who do others in your industry use? Customers? Competition? Check their industry affiliations, if any. Some are more closely linked to ships and equipment (DNV for example), some electronics/electrical (UL/DQS) etc. Check if they have ever been suspended - yes, even Registrars fail their audits. What’s their client retention? Check how they hire/train their auditors. Some Registrars hire people just because their (the auditor’s) name is listed someplace, nothing more…

All these affect the long term relationship and will endure longer than “savings”…

Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
    Jennifer Kirley, yodon and claudiogut like this.
  4. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

As Andy said, most 3rd party auditors are contract and 9001:2015 is the post common standard, so it is very possible you will manage to get a local auditor if you ask for one.

However, the overall costs are enough that I would worry you are willing to settle for an under performing registrar just because they are nearby - this is important, might as well get your money's worth out of it.

I have had involvement with DQS as a 3rd party auditor, DNV as a trainer, BSI as a client, and Bureau Veritas as a student. These are all good registrars, with adequate resources needed to manage their operations sufficiently to stay in the good graces of ANAB (North American Accreditation Body).

Do not use any registrar that is not accredited through an Accreditation body that itself is associated with IAF.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2023
    John C. Abnet likes this.
  5. Andy Nichols

Which reminds me: get resumes. Then interview them on the phone. See if they are a good “fit”…

6. Jennifer Kirley

I think this is interesting because no one asked for an interview prior to any of the hundreds of CB audits I have done. That said, the reputable CBs, such as mine, use resumes, tests and other means to ensure we are qualified too audit the particular type of businesses we are assigned to.

claudiogut likes this.
  7. Andy Nichols

Many organizations seeking to be certified simply don’t know what is available to them in terms of selection criteria. Rarely do such services get contracted - certification audits are in a different sector to other services. In the past, I was frequently asked for resumés.

claudiogut likes this.
  8. Jennifer Kirley

You were individually asked for a resume to perform in the capacity of a third party auditor for a specific client?

9. Andy Nichols

Yes. In my role as East Coast Sales Manager for a top Certification Body, I was frequently asked for resumes of auditor candidates. Clients want to know that auditors have appropriate background experience. This isn’t new news…

10. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

I've never heard of this either @Jennifer Kirley , but I find it intriguing and may test these waters with my clients in the future. (I certainly know of a stage 1 remote auditor one of my clients had that IF we/they had spoken to him prior to the audit, it would have only taken a few moments to realize that individual would not have been a good fit).

Thanks for prompting this 'out of the box' thought/consideration @Andy Nichols . Whether we all agree or not, these commentaries always keep me (us) thinking !

Be well.

Andy Nichols likes this.
  11. Andy Nichols

To be clear, I was not the auditor. I was only a CB auditor for one year in the USA. in 1992, clients didn't have much choice!

Jennifer Kirley likes this.
  12. Jennifer Kirley

In my experience we are assigned by providing evidence of knowledge within SICs. Resume has something to do with it, but since they are so easily - and frequently - falsified, in my experience other measures were taken.

13. claudiogut

claudiogut Member

So regarding the actual certification from whatever registrar we end up selecting, what does that process typically look like?

This company was previously ISO9001:2008 certified and they're looking to be 9001:2015 certified, so they have a lot of the documentation and processes in place already. So we created an internal gap analysis and are working on filling those gaps right now.

Will the registrar come in on Day 1 and perform their own gap analysis?

I've been part of recertifications before, so I know that at the very least they're write up a report with findings and areas of improvements and observations, so should we expect the same thing from the registrar?

14. Andy Nichols

Good question.

Some years ago, the Accreditation Bodies changed the process. Now, according to ISO/IEC 17021 (the Certification Body version of ISO 19011), they must perform a "Stage 1" audit. At least 50% must be on site and is a "readiness review" and more than a simple document review. It's more for them to assure that your organization is ready to be certified, meaning, have you got any actual implementation activities, which demonstrate - at least some evidence of process performance to those established objectives - done audits and had a management review. They are supposed to a) plan their audit (stage 2) and b) identify any impediments to a successful outcome, including those which may delay the stage 2. They may also confirm scope, headcount (FTE) and so on. They should deliver and audit readiness report, a recommendation to go ahead with a specific, agreed timeframe (30-45 days for the Stage 2) and any issues which need attention.

15. Andy Nichols

This can be overcome by being careful who is recruited, of course. Some CBs have poor hiring practices....

16. Jennifer Kirley

True, as is the case with all employers. Most find themselves in the same predicament.

17. claudiogut

claudiogut Member

So I've reached out to a number of companies that pop up when I search for registrars. Most of them are consulting firms that will ensure that we're up to a certain level in order to present us to a registrar. They talk about a 3-year plan for ISO certification. This is really frustrating, as the company I'm working for used to be ISO9001:2008 certified and it's just a matter of updating documentation and making sure processes are in place and being followed.

Is there not a way to get DNV, for instance, to come assess us and approve us for ISO certification? Or at least come audit us and point out any non-conformities, observations, and areas for improvement?

18. Andy Nichols

Yes, I feel your pain. If you are familiar - and can work with - DNV, why not simply get them to quote you and take it from there?

Don't forget that there are some significant differences between 2008 and 2015 requirements. Don't fall into the trap of thinking it's a continuum that you can simply pick up without much work...

claudiogut likes this.