1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Performance Indicators for Processes

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Tiffany Y, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Tiffany Y

Tiffany Y Member

Hello everyone,

For clause 4.4.1 ISO 9001:2015, i have decided that the easiest approach for me is to process map (various levels) my processes. This is proving to be easy enough and valuable. However, i am having some difficulty in developing performance indicators for the processes. In the past, I used audit objective fulfillment as a form of monitoring performance of processes.
    Can anyone provide me with some examples of process performance indicators that has worked for them?

Thank you.

2. yodon

yodon Well-Known Member

This is a tough one to answer since "process" can be so many different things. What are the things you would consider that would make the process successful? Maybe start there?

Maybe if you could share the processes you're considering, more specific help could be provided.

3. Tiffany Y

Tiffany Y Member

Hello Yodon,

Thank you for your reply. Our processes are for e.g. a projects process- with sub-processes of planning, execution and closeout of a project (installation of electrical equipment project for e.g.) and other standard processes such as procurement process, sales process, HR process with subprocesses of recruitment, appraisals etc.

4. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

And, possibly, the slippery slope to creating a monster you'll have to feed. Have you heard the one about the road to H*ll is paved with good intentions...?

Part of your challenge is that you've created a situation where, because you didn't (apparently) involve the process owner (as a minimum) you can't tell what their process is being measured on... You may wish to rethink what's "easy" for you and "what's right" for the organization. Apart from anything else, imagine how you'd feel if the CB auditor goes and asks the management team about their processes and they all stare blankly and then disavow any knowledge of the process mapping and measurements applied...(keep your resume up to date ;))

5. PSRiordan

PSRiordan Member

Hi Tiffany. I can't discern from your question how large your company is.

Phoenix makes a good point about involving the process owners, that's critical. A good question to ask the process owners is this: What information/activities do you need to measure/monitor which would give you confidence that your process is operating effectively?

I came across this on LinkedIn a while ago. I've shared this with clients just to get them thinking about the kinds of things they might want to track. It includes KPIs for sales, manufacturing, etc.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20130905053105-64875646-the-75-kpis-every-manager-needs-to-know

Some processes may not warrant KPIs - small companies may march to the quality objectives alone. So as the Phoenix said - choose wisely.

6. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

What does "winning" look like? What challenges are these process people facing? What sort of impact does the process have on the paying customer? On the internal customer that takes output of one process as input for theirs? These questions could help you define metrics that have meaning. They don't always need to be the same. Some can be the same among different processes, like turnaround time. A site by Common Sense Consulting has an explanation of objectives, targets and metrics. I am not affiliated with Common Sense Consulting (wish I was!)

7. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Just want to share our previous training presentations for identifying performance indicators.
    upload_2017-2-13_21-1-19.png upload_2017-2-13_21-2-12.png

Jennifer Kirley and Tiffany Y like this.
  8. Tiffany Y

Tiffany Y Member

Thanks everyone for all this help!!! i would reply individually as i digest the info. Just to clarify, although i said easy for me, i meant easy for the organization- i do always involve my process owners and my top management is always in the loop with what is going on in the Quality Department (I can't talk through an audit by myself!!!).

The organisation has 42 permanent staff members.

Andy Nichols and Atul Khandekar like this.
  9. Tiffany Y

Tiffany Y Member

Andy i cut my story short because the point of the story was performance indicators. The process to process map did involve my process owners and still does involve them- i have to guide them on performance indicators now. Also, it cannot be implemented without Top Management approval. However, i would consider if overall i am creating a monster that i would have to feed in the future. Thank you.

PSRiordan likes this.
  10. Tiffany Y

Tiffany Y Member

Thank you. This article is useful. The organisation has 42 permanent employees. What do you mean by "some processes may not warrant KPIs?"

PSRiordan likes this.
  11. Tiffany Y

Tiffany Y Member

Thank you Jennifer! I would definitely be asking these valuable questions!

12. Tiffany Y

Tiffany Y Member

Thank you!!! This is a good example and a good break down.

13. PSRiordan

PSRiordan Member

Tiffany, in smaller organizations such as yours, the objectives may be enough! You all march to on-time delivery and customer returns, for example. Note - this approach has passed muster with all of my clients implementing 9001:2015, 16 to date so I feel prety confident in what I am saying.

Remember the standard says YOU determine any necessary performance indicators and does not use the term Key Performance Indicators.

So, for a small company like yours, could the performance indicators be the same as the objectives? Asnwer - YES!

Keep it Simple.

Daniel Padilla T likes this.
  14. Tiffany Y

Tiffany Y Member

WHEW. This is such a relief. And you are right; the standard does say for us to determine- it is not demanding key performance indicators. Thank you.

15. Jennifer Kirley

Jennifer Kirley Moderator Staff Member

Every person should have a way to know if he/she is performing as expected. This does not need to be complex. But there is an expectation that some means to know that, and also to know how people's work supports site goals, is defined and known. They need not be fancy, but they should be meaningful so they are not just decoration to trot out for the auditor. This is about your organization and how it works together.