1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

Operating room data

Discussion in 'SPC - Statistical Process Control' started by Loukas, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Loukas

Loukas New Member

Hi all,
    I have a lot of operating room times and I need to use an appropriate chart to study the process. The variable obviously is continuous however the control chart will be used not for a sample but for the population.
    Can you please point me out an appropriate control chart for this scenario?
    Thank you in advance.

2. Bev D

Bev D Moderator Staff Member

An I, MR chart (chart for individual values) is th best choice for time based data.

3. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

Not knowing any details of how the OR is used, I would expect the times to be highly volatile depending on the type of procedure performed. If you have certain procedures (e.g., heart transplant) that take much longer than others you might want to separate these onto different charts. Another possibility is to track the +/- deviation of actual time to scheduled time.

4. Loukas

Loukas New Member

Thank you all for your replies.
    Let me explain what data I have in hand.
    The interest is to check the performance of the operating room. Not focusing on the surgical operation itself.
    The data include mainly various idle times. Time between first cut and last suture, Time between beginning Anesthesia. Time and End Anesthesia. Time (including clear surgical time).

Any help would be appreciated.

5. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

Bev's recommendation for an I/MR chart is the best. Is the amount of idle time independent of or correlated to the total time? If it is independent, track idle time. If it is correlated, track % idle time.

6. Loukas

Loukas New Member

Dear Miner, Bev, do you think I/MR chart can be used for the population of data and for a sample?
    Regards