1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.

One man company wanting ISO 9001:2015 accreditation

Discussion in 'ISO 9001:2015 - Quality Management Systems' started by Darren Ridden, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Darren Ridden

Darren Ridden New Member

Hi, is it possible for a one man company to gain an ISO 9001 2015 accreditation? I am an auditor and a company that I want to work for are insisting I’m ISO accredited. Is this an easy fix and how much would it cost ? Thanks in advance.

2. John C. Abnet

John C. Abnet Well-Known Member

Good day @Darren Ridden;
    I am also a company of one…a management systems consultant, and as a result, perform some contract internal auditing. I manage my company consistent with ISO. 9001 principles but am not nor do I intend to become ISO9001 certified.
    Curious as to why your potential client requires (more likely THINKS it’s required for you to be certified.

Possibly they need (tactfully) educated on what ISO 9001 requires for auditors.

(may I respectfully ask what your background is in regard to “auditing”. It surprises me that you would need to ask if a “one person company can be ISO 9001 “accredited “ . It is not simply semantics when I state there is no such thing as “ISO 9001 accredited “)

be well

3. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

Darren, welcome, and can I ask what business you’re in? My good friend @John C. Abnet is correct in his comments.
    I have a client who is a one person business and is required to be ISO9001 compliant/certified and it means someone has to do the audits of his work. It’s bizarre.
    The cost? To be certified, is around $2600US (you are in the USA?) plus some fees and travel for an auditor, so maybe $3 to $3.5K.
    Whoever is asking for this needs to show you some $$$ before entertaining that commitment. What could possibly be that important?

John C. Abnet likes this.
  4. tony s

tony s Well-Known Member

Not possible to have "ISO 9001 accreditation". However, it is possible for a one-man company to be "ISO 9001:2015 certified". Accreditation is for certifying bodies and testing laboratories. But they will be audited against ISO 17021 and ISO 17025, respectively.

Andy Nichols and John C. Abnet like this.
  5. Andy Nichols

Andy Nichols Moderator Staff Member

So true, Tony, yet it's amazing common how often even those who should know better, mix the terms. I guess we're doomed to have to explain...

tony s likes this.