1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
You must be a registered member in order to post messages and view/download attached files in this forum.
Click here to register.
  1. Rui Machado

Rui Machado New Member

Hello,

I have a doubt about the validity of MSA studies.
    According to the IATF it is not necessary to carry out this study annually. If there is no change in design, equipment and the same people are measuring, is this study valid forever?
    Other question is. If I have lot of characteristcs to measure defined in control plan, do I need to measure all of them?

Thanks in avance?

2. Miner

Miner Moderator Staff Member

MSA is a very broad term that covers 1) Bias; 2) Linearity; 3) Stability; and 4) Repeatability and Reproducibility.

Bias and Linearity can change over time due to wear, damage, etc. A good calibration system will address both of these characteristics, and obviously must be done on a recurring schedule.

Stability will depend a lot on the measurement instrument. Mechanical gages tend to only be affected by temperature when the tolerance are very tight, and this does not usually change with time, unless there is a radical change in the environment. Older electronic gauges could potentially change as they age, but usually required calibration prior to use. Newer ones should not be a problem.

Repeatability and Reproducibility do not change over time unless the measurement system itself is changed, so there is no need to repeat an R&R study.

Regarding all characteristics on the control plan: See my blog post on creating gage families. If you are using the same gage to measure similar features on the control plan, you can group these into families as discussed in the blog. Different gages, different types of features (i.e., inner diameter, outer diameter, distance between planes, etc.) require different studies.